Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd Party Backup

Highlighted
TPP_TNB
Vigilante

3rd Party Backup

Hello Everyone,

It's become apparent that my organization needs a more robust backup than file versioning.  I've been researching potential solutions that aren't backing up a Storage Sync or other separate sync and there doesn't seem to be many options.

Does anyone have experience using AWS or other 3rd party solutions to create backup sets of Egnyte data directly from Egnyte without any additional variables?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Moderator Nars_Support

Re: 3rd Party Backup

Hi @TPP_TNB -- AWS S3 is commonly used as an alternative object store in place of Egnyte (EOS). We have not heard of any customer using AWS as a standalone (no Storage Sync) backup solution for Egnyte.

In addition, we currently do not offer a full standalone integration with a major 3rd-party backup vendor. However, some of our customers have had plenty of success with the following options when used in combination with Storage Sync:

Regards,
Nars

Tags (1)
BT
Vigilante

Didn't see Carbonite on list of successful 3rd-Party backup solutions another listed as possible solutions.  When I am trying to backup Egnyte files with Cargonite is only says "calculating" and never gives me the option to check backup box, all grayed out.  Dropbox worked just fine.  Carbonite says it will do all files.  Why won't seem Egnyte allow same?  When power was out on East Coast last month Egnyte was not accessible for our business files and this is not acceptable.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee

Hi @BT, thanks for the question. We don't currently offer a full integration with any of the 3rd party backup systems, these were just the systems we know customers commonly use. So we haven't tested Carbonite at all, unfortunately. 

Hopefully someone in the community can share their experience with it to help you answer that question.

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos
Joe11
Deputy

I came across this post while searching for an answer to a question I have. We have a similar situation in our office of 99% Mac's. I am using rsync to backup our data from the cloud to a local folder on our external encrypted hard drive. I plan to do the following and I will post my results after using this idea for a while. I think the plan is so obvious that it is overlooked by many. We have upgraded one of out staff's Macbook Pro's to a current model and we are retiring the one she is currently using. The new MBPro has a 500 gig SSD drive where as the old one has a 750 gig spinning drive. Drive capacity is not a big concern as all our data is in the cloud. We want to create an offsite backup in case of fire, flood etc. The plan is to set this retired MBPro up in the business owner's home. This computer should have a large hard drive and we think 750 gig will be fine for now.

The MBPro is encrypted. We will connect to Egnyte Drive as an administrator and we will configure it for offline sync on all folders. The drive will remain connected to the internet and since it is a laptop with a good battery we will be able to handle power outages if they occur. Any changes to our data at Egnyte will be updated on the MBPro as well. We have about 400 gigs of data and this will take a while to sync, but once done the day to day stuff should be small.

I think Time Machine will be able to backup the local data but if not I will write a script to do that once a day. I have to wait a few days before I wipe the user's data off the old MBPro just to make sure everything is working properly with our staff's new computer. I will provide an updated post after several weeks of running this. I don't see why this wouldn't work, however, if someone knows something different, feel free to enlighten all of us.

Joe11
Deputy

As promised, this is a follow up post.

It turns out we have closer to 700 gigs of data. It's taking a while to sync this data for offline access. I am only doing a folder or two at a time as it usually take 6 to 8 hours to complete and I don't want to consume our bandwidth during the working day. With the weekend coming up, I will be able to select the remaining folders for syncing.

I haven't done any thorough testing, but from what I have seen so far, this is going to work for us. If you are a Mac office like ours and don't want to have a Mac as an expense for backing up, (We are using a retired Macbook capable of running Mojave), then a cheap PC should work as well.

It will be important that you have a local backup process to copy the data from the sync'd Egnyte drive to an external drive in an incremental fashion. Any file that is deleted in the cloud will be deleted on your Macbook as well.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee

Thanks for sharing these great insights, @Joe11!

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos