cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are search filtering and tagging on the short term roadmap?

Highlighted
Craig Chambers
Resident

Are search filtering and tagging on the short term roadmap?

Jump to solution

Now that Search Filtering (using a GUI) and tagging are no longer supported even in the Classic UI, are they a priority on the short term roadmap? My staff want to be able to filter searches at least by date created/modified and by creator/updater. Also, now that notes have morphed into discussions using that feature as a work around the the tags function is not as practical. I would really like to see tagging make a comeback as it can also help with search filtering and also aid in the organization of data that applies to multiple file locations.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Re: Are search filtering and tagging on the short term roadmap?

Jump to solution

Hi Craig,

Tagging is still available in the Classic UI — you just won't be able to filter your search results with those tags.

We are working on a new feature which will allow you to add custom metadata properties to your files. As part of that, you will be able to search on any metadata values.

However, in our first iteration of this, you will not be able to filter search results based on the metadata values. It sounds like being able to filter search results based on metadata is key to your use case — is that right?

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Craig,

Tagging is still available in the Classic UI — you just won't be able to filter your search results with those tags.

We are working on a new feature which will allow you to add custom metadata properties to your files. As part of that, you will be able to search on any metadata values.

However, in our first iteration of this, you will not be able to filter search results based on the metadata values. It sounds like being able to filter search results based on metadata is key to your use case — is that right?

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos
Craig Chambers
Resident

Jump to solution

So if you can't filter a search using tags are you simply able to select a tag and see all documents with tat tag?

Yes, filtering on metadata is important. For example I might want to see all invoke submissions created by me in the last year with a tag of "Infrastructure projects" right now I have no way of doing that.

Being able to filter a search using tags would, to me, seem like the major way you would want to use tags. Ultimately they are to provide a way to categorize files in a way folders can't. Being able to search for a file the includes or excludes a single or multiple tag would be very helpful.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the additional details.

If you've added a tag, you should still be able to search on those tags. E.g., if you tag a file with the phrase "project A," and then search using that phrase, that file will be included in the search results.

Per the example you provided, you would be able to get a list of of files tagged with "infrastructure projects". You would not, however, be able to filter that list to files that you specifically created.

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

in regards to "We are working on a new feature which will allow you to add custom metadata properties to your files. As part of that, you will be able to search on any metadata values"
Do you know when this functionality will be released?

I really need the ability to add metadata to files, then search the metadata via Egnyte API.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Jonathan,

I just sent you an email to discuss the upcoming Metadata API. I look forward to talking with you!

Thanks.
Cara de Freitas Bart

0 Kudos
Craig Chambers
Resident

Jump to solution

Hi Cara, Can I would like to know more about the upcoming API for metadata. Is this going to be discussed next week? If not can you send me the info as well?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Craig,

Of course! I just sent you an email about the upcoming Metadata API.

Thanks.
Cara de Freitas Bart

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Bumping this to see if you could pass along any information about the progress of tagging/metadata to me as well; this is a major wish-list item for my team.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Brendon,

Please refer to our Metadata API for current tagging capabilities: https://developers.egnyte.com/docs/Metadata_API

0 Kudos