Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD - DWG files are lost when saving

Highlighted
John Lagasse
Resident

AutoCAD - DWG files are lost when saving

I read the FAQ on this issue that points to it bing an AutoCAD issue.  Although it is an AutoCAD issue Egnyte exaserbates the issue.  My group has never run into this problem until Egnyte was installed.  Although I cannot prove it I believe that when AutoCAD goes through the process of renaming the files there are times when Egnyte is synchronzing so the AutoCAD files are locked for long enough that the rename/save cannot be completed and we are left with ATMP**** files instead of .DWG files.  Searching my AutoCAD files which I have thousands I only find the ATMP**** files appearing just after Egnyte was installed.  Our department has just moved to the PLC (Personal Local Cloud) and the problem has increase from 8 instances using just the Egnyte server to 45 instances in the last few weeks using the PLC.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

48 Replies

Re: AutoCAD - DWG files are lost when saving

Hi John - Egnyte acknowledges the issue with respect to Autocad  file sync. Our Engineering time is analyzing the issue and so far has attributed the cause to  .dwg file behavior to sync algorithm in a multi-user environment. The team is investigating the issue and we will keep you posted on release timeline once we are ready with the fix. 

Thanks,

Sriram

0 Kudos
Scott Foster1
Resident

I have been fighting this issue for several months.  Their recent add is very misleading and the final response from the "Engineers" is that is an Autocad issue even though the files are written to to the Egnyte server.     Their recent add indicates they support Autocad, but it is to the contrary.

0 Kudos
Scott Foster1
Resident

I will add that they delete all of the responses to the contrary....

0 Kudos
Chris34
Resident

Hi Scott, there are a couple AutoCAD threads in the forum that refer to this same topic.  We have noted your comments across all these threads, and any responses you think may be missing (deleted) here are likely to be found in the other threads as we would not delete them.

If you do observe an issue with a missing thread/response, please contact our support immediately so we can look into the issue.

Best, Chris

0 Kudos
Jeremy Chupp1
Resident

We are experiencing the exact same issues running AutoCAD 2012.  We are also running Egnyte (Enterprise Local Clouds, Office Local Cloud),  in a multi-user, mulit-site environment.  I too have seem the issues with the AutoCAD creating the atmp files for files that are getting deleted.  Thanks for continuing to investigate this issue and we look foward to a fix soon!

0 Kudos
Chris34
Resident

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your comment.  I want to let you know we are continuing to focus on providing a solution for this.

Best, Chris

0 Kudos
Bruce Panting
Resident

Egnyte,

Our company is also having issues with the missing .dwg files. Being a US based company I find it disheartening that Egnyte would stand back and point blame to Autodesk for this issue. This is a great opportunity for you to roll up your sleeves and define what the issue is and either fix it on your side or share with your neighbors Autodesk what the issues are. Your file sharing solution is a product our industry has been waiting for many years. We have many open tickets with technical support and anytime we have spoken to someone we were sent off with our tail between our legs. I’ve put a call in directly to Don David but have not heard back as he comes highly regarded on the Autodesk’s forums regarding this issue. Sorry for the rant be it stems from many hours we have spent trying to resolve this issue with no true resolve. The following are the tests and results I would like to share with you and the others reading this thread as of September 20th, 2012. When I refer to the word file I’m referring to an AutoCAD “dwg” file.

1. Creating a file and saving it locally to the computer can be manually uploaded to the cloud using the web interface. Editing the file locally and saving can again be uploaded to the cloud manually and will display on the cloud along with its iterations.
  2. After installing the map drive utility and mapping directly to the cloud a file can be created and saved directly to the cloud. As a note the addition .dwl and .dwl2 files show on the cloud and the files are indicated as locked. In this situation if the file is again opened directly from the mapped drive and saved the dwg file will disappear and two bak files will be left. This test was done to confirm the issue is not with the NAS drive running ELC. Working on a file mapped directly to the cloud is painfully slow in AutoCAD.
  3. Using a Netgear Readynas Pro4 and ELC add-on version 7.3.0 we are able to create a file directly to the NAS drive and after synchronization with the cloud the file will show on the cloud. After an editing session and the file being saved the following occurs. Only one iteration of the file will be on the cloud, multiple bak files will appear and the dwl and dwl2 files will remain. On the local NAS drive “ATMPnnn” files will appear.

Here is the main issue. We have been using ELC for about four months on an other project with NO problems using exactly the same hardware. If you have been following me along through this post you will learn of the solution we found after many hours of testing and one Egnyte won’t tell you. We discovered that our other NAS drives were running add-on version 6.7.8. I have since updated our newer NAS drives down to version 6.7.8. and since have had no problems. Version 7.3.0 will not work with AutoCAD. I do not know how one can get hold of the older bin files from Egnyte. They do show their release history but don’t give you access to the files as far as I can tell.

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/entries/20684531-enterprise-local-cloud-releases

The other solutions that have been presented through other forums have been to reroute the bak files or completely turn off the bak file creation in AutoCAD. These are not solutions but a work around for an issue. I would of like to have the newer versions of ELC work since I did see substantial performance gains but having it delete files is probably not very productive. If Egnyte would like to contact me directly Don has my contact information in his voice mail. If others can add to this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bruce

0 Kudos
Employee rajesh ram
Employee

Bruce - Thanks for your feedback.  We have been working for many weeks trying to resolve this problem with Autocad files.  Our team has finally produced a build that we are cautiously optimistic will fix the problem.  Our internal tests have passed.  I expect this to be available next week.  We plan to initially circulate this build to a handful of affected customers and gather their feedback before we make it generally available. If you are interested in receiving this build, please let me know and I will have Don David reach out to you next week. 

We appreciate your patience as we worked through this. Thanks,

Rajesh

0 Kudos
Bruce Panting
Resident

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for responding to my post. I have received the latest build Version 7.4.0 from others within our organization that has been working with you on this issue. I will test this new build and update my post as soon as I have the results. For those following, today is September 24, 2012 and we have a new build to help us solve this problem. Go Egnyte!

Bruce

0 Kudos