cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better UI for selecting local folders to sync

Highlighted
Resident

Better UI for selecting local folders to sync

I like the ability to choose just certain folders / sub folders to sync and would not be using your service without this feature.  But the UI could definitely be improved saving a lot of time.  So I want to offer a couple of suggestions on how it can be improved.  The first one is the best case scenario and the second one is hopefully something you could do fairly quickly.

1. The ability to see and select all possible folders that could be synced locally from within windows explorer.  Ideally this would be implemented under the Local cloud folder where you would see grayed out icons for the folders that are not selected and normal yellow icons for the ones that are.  If you want to sync a folder or group of folders you simply select them, right click, and choose sync.  Livedrive has this feature so I know it is possible to do.  Unfortunately their service quality is highly suspect so I had to stop using them.

2. Make the current local website that is used for doing this more user friendly by giving us a much larger window to examine our files in instead of the half screen one we have now.  When I select some folders and click save don't go back to the non expanded view of the folders but leave me where I was in case I want to add more folders now or at a later time.  This change would mean that I could leave up the local config website and when I need to add a folder I simply open that window and select it.  Right now I have to traverse all the way back through the folders / subfolders to find the folder I need every single time in a cramped half screen view of my folders.  It is painful and time consuming.

Thanks for taking the suggestion and I look forward to seeing at least #2 implemented in the next release.

Bill

Labels (1)
5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Better UI for selecting local folders to sync

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the feedback. I have already discussed your #2 comment with our UI designer and will include as part release in the next qtr. Regarding #1 comment, we already have the feature request in the roadmap. The enhancement would require change from our current architecture and therefore has not been prioritized for release this year.

Thanks,

sriram

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, I agree with Bill!

Selecting the sub-folders with a deep folder structure is quite painful.

I also think, it should not be big deal for engyte, to provide a bigger window for the selection of folder to be synced.

Werner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Thanks Werner, I will add your comment as a "+1" for this. 

It's not directly related to this issue, but did you know that we recently improved our Web UI to make it easier to find deeply-nested folders? Please see this recent product announcement.

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/entries/22995521-New-Fluid-User-Interface-Improved-Messaging-and-Social-...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Resident

On a similar note, I just hit an issue with "Select Folders to Synchronize."

I have a folder, with some files in it, as well as a single subfolder.

There is currently no way to select the parent folder, and exclude the single subfolder.   Trying to deselect the subfolder causes the parent folder to be deselected as well.

Any way to fix that soon?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hi Mark,

Our sync logic is designed to let you selectively sync subfolders (ie, to sync subfolders without syncing any parent folder content). What you're looking for is a way to sync a parent folder without syncing any subfolder content. Unfortunately, our sync is not currently designed this way. 

I'll add you as a +1 for this, but as a workaround, you might want to move the subfolder out of the parent folder. That way, you'll be able to sync just the parent folder. 

Thanks for your question. I hope this helps!

• Shyam
0 Kudos