Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Desktop Sync and Egnyte Connect be used simultaniously

Highlighted
AEJJ
Resident

Can Desktop Sync and Egnyte Connect be used simultaniously

Jump to solution

My job requires me to perform GIS tasks using ESRI's ArcMap and to collaborate on report writing and editing. Historically, our shared GIS projects on egnyte have been run using Desktop Sync as it allows the GIS software to run much more quickly than Egnyte Connect due to it being downloaded locally rather than streamed from the cloud. When I attempt to collaborate on writing and editing work, Desktop Sync and WebEdit are poor solutions as technically two people could be in a document at once without knowing and save over one anothers changes. Egnyte Connect has been a great solution to those problems, as it alerts me when someone is in the document I am working on.

Ideally, I would like to be able to run both—Desktop Sync for my GIS work and Egnyte Connect for all other work. The problem is that my Desktop Sync appears to stop working after I insall Egnyte Connect. It no longer syncs, the sync icon on my taskbar disappears, and when I try to force a manual sync through the browser I can't get confirmation that it actually completed.

Is there any way I can run these programs simultaniously, or is it an either/or kind of situation?

Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
bazza
Deputy

Re: Can Desktop Sync and Egnyte Connect be used simultaniously

Jump to solution

Hi Macninja,

You raised a valid point there, we've experienced the same problem. We roll out Egnyte connect desktop app, Egnyte desktop sync and Egnyte storage sync via locally mapped drive in our implementation to suit business requirements. The file lock is not maintained across the three Egnyte clients, so if user A is using Egnyte connect desktop app and user B is using Storage sync, and they are often working on the same files, it will result in frequent conflict copies. The concept of "global lock" is what Egnyte has been working on and it is being implemented in their Turbo product which you can read about here: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000286631-Turbo-Overview

We are planning to roll out Turbo this year so that our users won't be dealing with these conflict copies. Until that happens, we've educated our users to manually merge the original file with its conflict copy and then remove the conflict copy. The other option we've provided to them is to open the file in Office Online since we are O365 users, to be able to open the file simultaneously with the multiple users and work on it at the same time.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Thanks @bazza and @Macninja for sharing your experience with these. As bazza mentioned, Turbo is a good option for file locking as both Turbo and the Desktop app support global file locking while Desktop Sync and Storage Sync do not.

While Turbo is a great solution for global file locking and for many companies' set up, there are some known limitations that I would recommend reviewing before fully deciding whether or not Turbo is right for you. Here are some key articles to review:

1. Everything related to Turbo: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/sections/115000752551-Turbo
  2. Turbo's known limitations: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004384712-Turbo-Known-Limitations
  3. Comparing Turbo to Storage Sync: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003101092-Comparing-Turbo-to-Storage-Sync

Definitely review these and feel free to write back with more questions. Thanks again @bazza for sharing your approach to this!

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
4 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @AEJJ,

Thank you for writing to us. 

The answer to your question is YES. Both application can be used at the same time. Just that the purpose for these applications is different. The Connect App is good as far as your are connected to the Internet and are looking for file lock notifications when multiple users try to access the same file. 

In your set up, if a certain software/application works fine in conjunction with the Desktop Sync, then yes, you should use it. However, like you already know, the Desktop Sync was not designed to give out file lock notifications. Web-edit too show the lock when the user is working on it from the UI. 

After reading through the issue, I would recommend, you engage with our support team to identify the cause of the sync not working along with the Connect app. If there is something that needs fixed, it will get escalated to the engineering team via the support channel. You can write to them with the issue description at support@egnyte.com.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Macninja
Steward

Jump to solution

Hi AEJJ,

While we have not run into the same problem you have running Connect and Sync at the same time, we have run into other issues with desktop syncing. 

The main issue has to do with "Conflict Copies" of files that are created when files don't sync correct from one user and another user opens and saves the same file.  For example: if I open an Excel file through Egnyte Connect and for whatever reason that file doesn't get saved back to Egnyte and another user works on and saves the same file before mine gets synced, Egnyte will create a Conflict Copy instead of a version.  

This has led to some pretty serious problems because each Conflict Copy is a unique document and the changes are not merged.  

We have seen this behaviour when Egnyte Sync doesn't sync correctly and someone opens and works on the same file using Connect: when the first user's sync completes, a Conflict Copy is created rather than a new version.

0 Kudos
bazza
Deputy

Jump to solution

Hi Macninja,

You raised a valid point there, we've experienced the same problem. We roll out Egnyte connect desktop app, Egnyte desktop sync and Egnyte storage sync via locally mapped drive in our implementation to suit business requirements. The file lock is not maintained across the three Egnyte clients, so if user A is using Egnyte connect desktop app and user B is using Storage sync, and they are often working on the same files, it will result in frequent conflict copies. The concept of "global lock" is what Egnyte has been working on and it is being implemented in their Turbo product which you can read about here: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000286631-Turbo-Overview

We are planning to roll out Turbo this year so that our users won't be dealing with these conflict copies. Until that happens, we've educated our users to manually merge the original file with its conflict copy and then remove the conflict copy. The other option we've provided to them is to open the file in Office Online since we are O365 users, to be able to open the file simultaneously with the multiple users and work on it at the same time.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Thanks @bazza and @Macninja for sharing your experience with these. As bazza mentioned, Turbo is a good option for file locking as both Turbo and the Desktop app support global file locking while Desktop Sync and Storage Sync do not.

While Turbo is a great solution for global file locking and for many companies' set up, there are some known limitations that I would recommend reviewing before fully deciding whether or not Turbo is right for you. Here are some key articles to review:

1. Everything related to Turbo: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/sections/115000752551-Turbo
  2. Turbo's known limitations: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004384712-Turbo-Known-Limitations
  3. Comparing Turbo to Storage Sync: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003101092-Comparing-Turbo-to-Storage-Sync

Definitely review these and feel free to write back with more questions. Thanks again @bazza for sharing your approach to this!

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.