cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add a standard user with no email or with a dummy email?

Highlighted
Omega Controls
Resident

Can I add a standard user with no email or with a dummy email?

Jump to solution

Back in the day the admin could add a user and their password without the email confirmation step. I would love it if we could do that. We do NOT want our clients to receive any emails as they are pointless to them. We are simply sharing files and want them to be able to log in and view/download them.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Re: Can I add a standard user with no email or with a dummy email?

Jump to solution

Hi,

This is no longer possible. We changed the user invitation flow as you've described to align with security best practices.

However, if your goal is just to prevent your clients from receiving any emails, this is easily accomplished. Navigate to "User Types & Roles" in the Configuration section of the Settings page. Here, you can determine how often your users receive these email notifications. Select "Never" under the section for Standard Users, and you'll be set.

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

This is no longer possible. We changed the user invitation flow as you've described to align with security best practices.

However, if your goal is just to prevent your clients from receiving any emails, this is easily accomplished. Navigate to "User Types & Roles" in the Configuration section of the Settings page. Here, you can determine how often your users receive these email notifications. Select "Never" under the section for Standard Users, and you'll be set.

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos
Omega Controls
Resident

Jump to solution

Ok that works but I still have to pick a real email address to begin the process which I am trying to avoid. So the "never" is not really "never".

0 Kudos
Arn Johnson
Resident

Jump to solution

On certain client's email servers, they have a mailbox set up just for Egnyte accounting, because they have the same requirement (not letting end-users do password resets via email, and managing their initial access without involving them etc which would be sooo much brain damage). They merely add aliases to that mailbox. So for jimbob@company.com (his primary address), they just add an alias of jimegnyte@company.com to the real mailbox of egnyteaccounts@company.com, where invites and pw change notifications go. It's a little bit of a workaround, but at least you can then just send Jim his credentials in username/password format, and control them centrally as you control/check egnyteaccounts@company.com, and Jim never sees all of these invite or password reset emails. You can tune this to your specific preferences..

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Arn,

Thank you for the information. It is a very nice idea you shared. What you noted here can be of use to user who wish to avoid the email invites or password reset notifications from being sent to the users. 

It may not be possible for every Egnyte user coz the setup might be different for different users. 

Via Egnyte, there is no control left with the admins now. At-least with the user invite emails. Also this happens only when the user is an Egnyte authenticated user. For AD users, this flow is completed omitted. 

Regards

Sagar.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos