Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I delete files in .work\cache\?

Highlighted
Thomas Mosbech
Resident

Can I delete files in .work\cache\?

Jump to solution

I needed to free up some space on my local hard drive, so used 'Configure Folders' and un-checked a few folders.

However, after the sync they instead take up space in \Local Cloud.work\cache\batch-26576_2014-06-24-164120\

Is it safe to delete files in the batch-folder?

Thanks
\Thomas

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Re: Can I delete files in .work\cache\?

Jump to solution

Hi Thomas,

I just confirmed with our Product Manager for Desktop Sync. Yes - you can safely delete the files in .work\cache.

Thanks,
Shyam

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Thomas,

I just confirmed with our Product Manager for Desktop Sync. Yes - you can safely delete the files in .work\cache.

Thanks,
Shyam

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Will this solution be built into the next version of Egnyte? Typically, the reason folders are unchecked is to gain drive space back. If all it does is move it into a cache, that doesn't really help.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Patrick,

Let me check with our Product Manager for Desktop Sync. I'll follow up with you shortly.

Thanks,
Shyam

0 Kudos
Mehdi Laeib
Resident

Jump to solution

Hey Can I get an update on this topic?

We are now in 2017 - how come there is still some Cach in Egnyte that retain space on our hard drive even when no folder are sync?

thanks

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Mehdi,

Starting version 7.8, files that are deleted by Desktop Sync were placed into the "./work/cache" hidden folder and that allowed users to recover accidentally deleted files. You can actually think of it as a hidden Recycle Bin or Trash for Desktop Sync. This feature is not exposed to the user.

The cache will be purged when space is needed (i.e. cache size is > 10% of available free space or cache > 50GB).

Are you looking at a complete removal of the .work folder from the Desktop Sync? If you do, then I may have to check with the Product Team to see if there is anything planned on these lines in the future versions of the Desktop Sync. 

Thanks.

Sagar

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I'm having this problem as well and the cache is taking up way more than 10% of available free space.  I have a 500 gb drive that is 99% full and 250 gb of it is the egnyte cache.  I'd say you guys still have some work to do on this issue.

Thanks,

Seth

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Seth,

Thank you for reporting this. Are you running the v 9.0.4 of the Desktop Sync? I will certainly send this to my product team, but was just wondering if I could collect some information about the app before I talk to them. 

Thanks

Sagar

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Jill Lind
Civilian

Jump to solution

My team and I are experiencing the same issues of the hard drive being maxed out even after reducing the number of folders synced. I am the admin on our account and would like to solve this hard drive space issue as soon as possible.

How do we find this .work\cache\ folder and delete the contents?

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @Jill Lind,

.work\cache is a hidden folder and can be found at the root of the Egnyte data folder. Check the screenshot attached. 

I see that you are already in touch with our support team. I suggest you work with them and find a systematic fashion of deleting the contents in the .work folder. I am sure you will get assistance via the support case.

Thanks.

0 Kudos