cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I restrict public file folder share abilities to only Administrators?

Highlighted
Shawn Cleary
Resident

Can I restrict public file folder share abilities to only Administrators?

Jump to solution

I'd like to share files/folders (upload and download) with collaborators outside my organization. While at the same time restricting the ability to share public links to only owners and administrators.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can I restrict public file folder share abilities to only Administrators?

Jump to solution

Hi Shawn,

Egnyte allows public links to be enabled or disabled for a specific folder, but that permission would be set for all users. One option would be to make the folder only accessible to owners and administrators. Thus, only the owners and administrators will be able to share the folder. The owners and administrators could then share the folder with whoever needs to access it. For more information on sharing files and folders in Egnyte, please refer to this article on our HelpDesk: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/201637104-Sharing-Files-in-Egnyte

Thanks.
Cara de Freitas Bart

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi Shawn,

Egnyte allows public links to be enabled or disabled for a specific folder, but that permission would be set for all users. One option would be to make the folder only accessible to owners and administrators. Thus, only the owners and administrators will be able to share the folder. The owners and administrators could then share the folder with whoever needs to access it. For more information on sharing files and folders in Egnyte, please refer to this article on our HelpDesk: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/201637104-Sharing-Files-in-Egnyte

Thanks.
Cara de Freitas Bart

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Shawn Cleary
Resident

Jump to solution

I'm afraid that will not work for us. We have many power users that need access to the files.

Is the request clear? Is this a unique request?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Shawn,

Using the solution I proposed above, power users will still have access to the files if the Owners or Administrators share the link with them similar to sharing the link with external collaborators. Unfortunately, determining which users can share a folder is not a first class feature in Egnyte at this time. I will also share your feature request with the product team.

Thanks.
Cara de Freitas Bart

0 Kudos