cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use egnyte to automatically back up what's on my desktop and documents of my PC?

PEGLEE
Resident

Can I use egnyte to automatically back up what's on my desktop and documents of my PC?

Can I use egnyte to automatically back up what's on my desktop and documents of my PC? I don't want to always be going back and forth between the hard drive of my computer and a thumb drive to ensure that all files are up to date and the same. Can I download something from Egnyte so that it automatically backs up everything on my work computer onto my private egnyte folder? (there's not that much data - maybe 20 gb). 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Can I use egnyte to automatically back up what's on my desktop and documents of my PC?

Hello @PEGLEE,

Thank you for reaching out. 

Anything and everything you need to save to Egnyte has to be within the Egnyte folder on your computer. Egnyte does not back up /sync anything outside of the Egnyte folder.

If you are looking at backing up your My Documents folder from your computer to your Egnyte account, then you may want to look at the folder re-direction option that Windows OS offers. Here is some information that will help: - 

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020178711-How-do-I-sync-a-user-s-personal-folders-t...

If you feel you might need assistance in following the steps, feel free to write to our support team at support@egnyte.com.

I hope this helps. 

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager

Re: Can I use egnyte to automatically back up what's on my desktop and documents of my PC?

Hi @PEGLEE

We just launched something called "connected folders." Here's a post about how connected folders can be useful, but, as you'll see i the blog, connected folders are "folder[s] within a user’s existing file structure that [are] automatically synced to the Egnyte Cloud. You determine which folders are “Connected” (often Desktop, Downloads, and Documents folders), and you determine where in Egnyte they are synced to, but it’s typically the user’s private folder."

Maybe this will fit your use case. 

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos