cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change URL

Change URL

Jump to solution

Hello!

I would like to change our url {OLD_COMPANY_NAME.EGNYTE.COM} to {NEW_COMPANY_NAME.EGNYTE.COM}. I want keep same account.

Regards

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Change URL

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us.

Egnyte does not offer domain renames. This means that you cannot simple rename abc.egnyte.com to xyz.egnyte.com. You will have to sign up for xyz.egnyte.com first. Then migrate the data from abc.egnyte.com to xyz.egnyte.com. 

Once all the data and user migration is done, you can submit a cancellation request for your old domain i.e abc.egnyte.com. 

Another option that you can consider is Custom Branding. Please read through the following article. https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/201637404-Custom-Branding-Egnyte

Access URL is something that might interest you. 

Thanks

I hope that answers 

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
6 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us.

Egnyte does not offer domain renames. This means that you cannot simple rename abc.egnyte.com to xyz.egnyte.com. You will have to sign up for xyz.egnyte.com first. Then migrate the data from abc.egnyte.com to xyz.egnyte.com. 

Once all the data and user migration is done, you can submit a cancellation request for your old domain i.e abc.egnyte.com. 

Another option that you can consider is Custom Branding. Please read through the following article. https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/201637404-Custom-Branding-Egnyte

Access URL is something that might interest you. 

Thanks

I hope that answers 

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."

Jump to solution

That is not a solution. Companies like ours can not be using old names.
The url and even worse the SSO authentication prompts for domain name of a company that new employees never even knew. 
All this becomes a major sore point and embarrassment for the IT personnel.

If no solution exists than can you provide documentation on the steps required to migrate Terabytes of data, logs, and user accounts over a weekend without issues?  

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @Marco Tassara1,

Sorry to see you in this situation. There are a lot of things which gets tied to when a domain is registered. This is why Egnyte does not offer domain renames i.e changing one domain name to another. 

If the custom url feature does not interest you, then you can sign up for a new domain with the desired name and migrate your data from the old domain to the new one. I agree that this will be a lengthy process to migrate the data and the users, but sadly this is the only option available as of now. 

You can always talk to your Account Manager to see what is best suited for this transition or write to support@egnyte.com for assistance. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Again "If no solution exists than can you provide documentation on the steps required to migrate Terabytes of data, logs, and user accounts over a weekend without issues?"
If you don't know that I will ask our account manager and reply back to this post with the instructions I was provided.

So that we can provide an actual "Solved! Go to Solution."

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @Marco Tassara1,

Migrating TB's of data just over the weekend surely sounds tough. The domain name change will affect all the applications which are authenticated using the old domain. The user names are also tied up to the same domain name. Practically everything changes when the domain name is changed. 

This is why we suggested you to think about the custom url. This way the domain name can be kept intact and there will not be a downtime to your operations. 

Everything what you suggest to be completed over a weekend involves multiple variables (amount of data/users to be migrated etc.) and does not sound like a viable option. We suggest you have a chat with your account manager and let us know. We can chalk out a plan accordingly.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Understand there are many variables. 
In our instance, we use Google SSO for authentication as well all email addresses have already been updated.

We have removed all but 99% of replicating NAS needs.
Some of the API's would still have to be updated.

Project Management would cover finding items in a Gap analysis.
Salesforce.com has a similar constraint.

This is a valid concern though that I would like to see under development at least.
When I get a quote back from Professional services for $10k it becomes an even more legitimate issue,
0 Kudos