Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change user from administrator to power user

amysouth
Vigilante

Change user from administrator to power user

Jump to solution

Relatively new to Egnyte. I need to change a person from administrator to power user. When I try to do this, I get a message that her personal folder will be deleted. Is there any way to avoid this? Why would this happen?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Change user from administrator to power user

Jump to solution

@Michael Plant,

Thank you for the help. @amysouth must have read my earlier message which I later corrected. Thus the confusion.

@amysouth,

Whenever you wish to make such changes, you just have to take a back up for the private folder of the admin/power user whom you are about to downgrade or remove from Egnyte. This way you can archive the user's data as well as accomplish the task of getting the user deleted. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @amysouth,

I mis-understood the issue based on your subject line. I understand you are trying to downgrade an admi user to a power user. In such situations the private folder does not get deleted. This would only happen if you are trying to downgrade the user to a standard user. 

Can you send us a screenshot of the the warning when you perform the steps to downgrade an admin to a power user ? 

Sagar.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
amysouth
Vigilante

Jump to solution

I don't want to delete the user altogether. She is staying with the company. I just don't want her to be an administrator. If I try to change her role, it looks like it is going to delete her private folder anyway - even if I'm just changing her to power user. Is that the case?

0 Kudos
amysouth
Vigilante

Jump to solution

Now I see that the message does actually indicate "standard" but it still makes me a little worried.

0 Kudos
Michael Plant
Vigilante

Jump to solution

A standard user does not get a private folder, hence the warning message. If you are changing from an admin/power user to standard, the private folder would be removed.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

@Michael Plant,

Thank you for the help. @amysouth must have read my earlier message which I later corrected. Thus the confusion.

@amysouth,

Whenever you wish to make such changes, you just have to take a back up for the private folder of the admin/power user whom you are about to downgrade or remove from Egnyte. This way you can archive the user's data as well as accomplish the task of getting the user deleted. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
amysouth
Vigilante

Jump to solution

Thank you for your help! I am all set. I did do a back-up, but because I was moving the user from Admin to Power User her private folder remained intact. Thank you!

0 Kudos