cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing drive for local storage in Egnyte Connect

Rob Sloyer
Vigilante

Choosing drive for local storage in Egnyte Connect

Egnyte Connect (Egnyte Desktop App?  I get confused on all the names) has the feature where you can choose certain folders for offline access, presumably syncing/storing them on your local hard drive somewhere.

My question is, can we choose which local hard drive to store those files on if we have more than one?

We *can* choose the hard drive in Egnyte Sync, but I can't find a setting to do so in Egnyte Connect.

We have several users with multiple hard drives, and one is meant for apps and the other for storage, so we'd like for them to be able to have their local storage on the correct drive.

If this isn't possible with Egnyte Connect, will we have problems having both the Desktop app and Sync installed?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Retired Employee Nars_Support
Retired Employee

Re: Choosing drive for local storage in Egnyte Connect

@Rob Sloyer Desktop App (formerly Egnyte Drive) can leverage the [Sync for Offline Access] feature, but only when the global domain flag has this feature enabled on the WebUI - Settings.

See: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025670111-Enable-Sync-for-Offline-Access-with-the-D...

As for disk drive target for offline file storage, we keep all Desktop App related cache files in %localappdata%\EgnyteDrive\  -- unfortunately, Microsoft does not recommend moving the Local AppData folder for system stability purposes, so offline data will reside based on the initial Operating System installation.

There are no known issues with having both Desktop App and Desktop Sync installed on the same machine. In fact, we have quite a few customers running this type of implementation.

Regards,
Nars

PS. Help others find answers by selecting [Accept as Solution] if a post answers your question.

0 Kudos
ryder
Deputy

Hi Nars,

I'm asking me the same question. So what Apps do you recommend for using Cloud access and sync with Win/MAC with regards to stability?

Thanks.

Best wishes

ryder

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Nars_Support
Retired Employee

Hi @ryder -- your question is slightly different, as the original inquiry mainly pertains to [Offline Data] storage location assignment in Windows. 

Both Desktop App and Desktop Sync applications are stable for supported Windows and macOS environments. However, only Desktop App offers the ability to have true cloud-only access, along with the option to synchronize select folders for offline access. 

Please refer to the following Help Desk article for more information: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003458632-Differences-between-the-Egnyte-Connect-De...

Regards,
Nars

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ryder
Deputy

Hi Nars,

thanks, for the clarification. Everythink is clear now for me.

Best wishes

Ryder

0 Kudos
Users online (196)
Top Solution Authors