Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compare Connected folder vs. Sync folder

ryder
Deputy

Compare Connected folder vs. Sync folder

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've read about the new feature of connected folders, here https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026687112-Connected-Folders-on-the-Desktop-App

But I do not really understand the benefits when using Connected folders.

@egnyte, can you release a comparison table abount the functions of Connected folders and Sync folders?

I do not really understand the difference and when to use what.

Thanks, in advanced.

Best wishes

ryder

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Moderator Nars_Support

Re: Compare Connected folder vs. Sync folder

Jump to solution

@ryder For Windows, [Connected Folders] eliminates the need for Folder Redirect, which is commonly performed against the Local User's personal folders (e.g. Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc). 

So rather than redirecting current folder paths, [Connected Folders] will enable our customers to synchronize non-Egnyte folder paths (e.g. C:\Users\ryder\Documents\) into an Egnyte synchronized target path (e.g. /Private/ryder/Documents/).

Such action, otherwise, will not work with [Sync for Offline Access].

Regards,
Nars

3 Replies
Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi @ryder, thanks for the feedback and suggestion. I've let the right people know about the feedback and they are considering adding those changes to their workload. 

In the meantime, we actually just launched a blog that explains some common use cases for using connected folders if you'd like to check that out. Hope it helps at least a little!

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos
ryder
Deputy

Jump to solution

Thanks Julie for this blog article. But this explains only differen szenarios. 

But I do not understand why to use connected folder for that. This also possible with the "old" sync feature. So why do I need connected folders?

Wishes

ryder

0 Kudos
Moderator Nars_Support

Jump to solution

@ryder For Windows, [Connected Folders] eliminates the need for Folder Redirect, which is commonly performed against the Local User's personal folders (e.g. Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc). 

So rather than redirecting current folder paths, [Connected Folders] will enable our customers to synchronize non-Egnyte folder paths (e.g. C:\Users\ryder\Documents\) into an Egnyte synchronized target path (e.g. /Private/ryder/Documents/).

Such action, otherwise, will not work with [Sync for Offline Access].

Regards,
Nars