cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross-domain non-network access to ReadyNAS?

Maria Biundo
Resident

Cross-domain non-network access to ReadyNAS?

Our client uses our web application IIS-hosted on their Windows web server to store documents in a SQL filestream.  They want to move the documents to the cloud instead.  Office "A" has an ELC on the same network as the web server, and we have been successful uploading & downloading the documents to this device via the web application. 

Office "B" is on a different network and has a ReadyNAS accessible in Explorer via a mapped drive.  Is it possible for our web app to upload/download files to this NAS device when it is located on a separate network, and if so, how would that be accomplished?  The goal is to improve the file transfer speeds by storing the documents locally to each office and letting them synch to the other device.

As it stands now, Office "B" is uploading/downloading to the ELC in Office "A", which makes their local NAS useless.  I've posted the same question to the Netgear forum, with no replies at all. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Donna

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Re: Cross-domain non-network access to ReadyNAS?

Hi Maria,

Thanks for your question. If I'm understanding correctly, you're looking for a way to have your web application in Office A upload files directly to the ReadyNAS in Office B.

As you've probably guessed, this not currently possible. You will only be able to upload files directly to the ReadyNAS in Office B when you are on that network. Just so I understand, is your goal to improve upon the transfer speed of the ELC in Office A syncing to the cloud and then syncing down to Office B?

• Shyam
0 Kudos
Maria Biundo
Resident

Thank you for the quick reply.  The syncing speed back to Office B is rather slow - it can take several minutes.  Please let us know if there is a way to improve that.  We also tried using the API, but that proved be to much slower.

We thought perhaps we could gain remote access to the NAS using an external IP address, port forwarding & sending the request in URL much like the API functionality, as we discovered in a forum posting on the readynas site (see below).  Is this possible?

"You can use a web browser to access files that are stored on your ReadyNAS system.

Note: If you are accessing your files from a network that is outside of your LAN, you must configure port forwarding on your router. For more information, see your router user manual.

To access a share using a web browser, follow these steps:

1. *Ensure that the HTTP file-sharing protocol is enabled on your ReadyNAS system.

For more information, see "How do I manage file-sharing protocols on my ReadyNAS Ultra series, Ultra Plus series, NVX Pioneer,... support article.
  2. Launch a web browser.
  3. Navigate to the ReadyNAS system and share that you want to access using the following syntax:

_ http://<hostname>/shares_

<hostname> is the name that you assigned to your ReadyNAS system or the default host name if you did not change it."

Donna

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Hi Donna,

We're constantly working on ways to improve our sync engine, so I'm sure performance enhancements will keep coming. However, the timing you've described sounds normal to me—it makes sense that syncing back to Office  B might take several minutes. To begin with, there may be a delay of a few minutes between when files are uploaded to Office A and when that ELC actually syncs to Egnyte. From there, files must sync back down to Office B.

I'm not immediately sure if what you've suggested is possible. Let me run this by our product manager for Storage Sync to see what he thinks.

• Shyam

0 Kudos

Hi Donna,

I am the product manager for Storage Sync. As you might already know, Storage Sync performs sync operation between the local store and the cloud only. So there will be an inherent delay for files modified on one sync device to show up on the other device.

That said, we are constantly improving our sync latencies in order to exactly address situations like you the one have described.   I have a few questions to understand the problem better:

• How many files are being sent from Office A to the ELC and what are their sizes?

• What kind of delay are you seeing roughly?

• What version of ELC and OLC are you at?

Also, we monitor the Egnyte page on readynas forum and unfortunately we haven't received your question there. Here's the link to that page.

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=146

Please feel free to use that forum; we will respond to your questions over there as well.

HTH,

Hari

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Maria Biundo
Resident

Thank you for your responses.  In answer to your questions, we are merely in a testing phase, uploading & downloading a single file at a time, usually a small (100 kb or less) text file, although we have sent larger files of varying types. 

• From Office A to the ELC (which are on the same network) the transfer is very quick and we have no issues at this point.

• From Office B (remote network) to the ELC is slower.  It takes several minutes for any size document to sync to the cloud and then down to the NAS located in Office B.  This is why we want remote access to the NAS from our web app.  Our client expected that office to be able to upload/download locally to the NAS, but the web app functioning as their GUI is hosted in Office A.  We first tried using the API, but it was slower than what we've been using before implementing the cloud solution.

• ReadyNAS 312 firmware v6.1.4;  ELC 8.4.9.139 [90529]

I did post on the readynas forum, but did not see the Egnyte page until after submitting it.  It has still not received any replies, which is why I posted here.  I will post any further nas questions/issues on that page.  I truly appreciate you responding so quickly to our issues.  Is there any additional information I can provide?

Donna

0 Kudos

Hi Donna,

We have a 9.1.1 release that will shortly (today/tomorrow) be available for ELC and ReadyNAS. This release has a lot of performance optimizations which should in general help with the sync speeds. I believe it should mitigate the delay that you are talking about. I will send a note to you soon after we post the download link on our URL.

Thanks,

Hari

0 Kudos