cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop Sync hidden .work folder filling up with GB of data

Desktop Sync hidden .work folder filling up with GB of data

Jump to solution

We are running Desktop Sync and under the Local Cloud folder on our computers we have a hidden subfolder called .work. This contains a cache subfolder under which are numerous datestamped subfolders all starting with the phrase "batch-". We are getting anything from one per day to 5 or 6 per day. These subfolders contain actual files that can be opened up, and the .work folder itself is growing in size. One computer has a couple of gigabytes of data, another nearly 10.

I understand the .work folder is a temporary folder used during the sync process, and I understand from a recent support call to yourselves that we are free to delete all the files and folders underneath .work. However there is obviously a bug here where the software fails to clean up after itself leaving residual files in this hidden folder. The earliest batch folder dates from 14 August 2014, which suggests that around that time a version of the software was released that introduced this bug.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Re: Desktop Sync hidden .work folder filling up with GB of data

Jump to solution

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your feedback. I've shared this with our product manager for Desktop Sync, and we are planning to address this in an upcoming release.

Thanks for your patience, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your feedback. I've shared this with our product manager for Desktop Sync, and we are planning to address this in an upcoming release.

Thanks for your patience, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Michael,

I fully agree with you, many of our users have the same issue. If the desktop sync installation is a year old and there are many interrupted syncs, I have seen this work folder collecting more than 100GB of data.
Since we didn't want to manually delete the work folder, we deinstalled the entire desktop sync tool, cleaned everything, re-installed the desktop sync tool and coping the data from our storage sync disk to the desktop sync disk.

Shyam, is there a way to avoid or delete this work folder?

Regards,

WERNER

0 Kudos
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Werner,

We will be addressing this in a future release. In the meantime, you can safely manually delete the work folder.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos