Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop app files taking hard drive space

KWhite1
Deputy

Desktop app files taking hard drive space

Jump to solution

I'm new to Egnyte and still sorting things out.

I'm working through the Desktop app and contratry to what I understood would happen, it looks  like files in the app are taking my hard drive space as well.

Am I missing something?

Our goal is to be able to link to Egnyte for support files but use layout files on our own hardrives.

Thanks in advance for any clarification that can be offered.

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Desktop app files taking hard drive space

Jump to solution

Hello @KWhite1,

On Windows system when a application installed, the applications data folder is also created under "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\" by default. Egnyte Drive folder also gets created under "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\". This folder has the temp files and the log files. 

If Windows default path is changed then the default folder creation path will change for all applications which includes Egnyte Drive. Additionally if any data is being copied over the Desktop app, then it gets moved to the cached folder into your root drive (in most cases it is 'C' drive). Once the data gets uploaded these cached folder content will automatically get deleted.

Another reason your C drive is filling up is if you have chosen large number of folders for offline syncing. You can remove the offline folders and that will free up space on your drive.

Our Product Team is already looking to bring in some improvements to the file file location on Egnyte Drive. If you need any assistance in this case, please file a ticket with support@egnyte.com.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @KWhite1,

Desktop App does not host the file on your physical hard drive. When the files are copied over to a folder within the Desktop App, then they land into the uploads folder and make it to the cloud. Once the uploads are compete, the cached folder should clear off. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."

5 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @KWhite1,

On Windows system when a application installed, the applications data folder is also created under "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\" by default. Egnyte Drive folder also gets created under "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\". This folder has the temp files and the log files. 

If Windows default path is changed then the default folder creation path will change for all applications which includes Egnyte Drive. Additionally if any data is being copied over the Desktop app, then it gets moved to the cached folder into your root drive (in most cases it is 'C' drive). Once the data gets uploaded these cached folder content will automatically get deleted.

Another reason your C drive is filling up is if you have chosen large number of folders for offline syncing. You can remove the offline folders and that will free up space on your drive.

Our Product Team is already looking to bring in some improvements to the file file location on Egnyte Drive. If you need any assistance in this case, please file a ticket with support@egnyte.com.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
KWhite1
Deputy

Jump to solution

Thanks Sagar - one detail I'm forgot to mention is that I'm on a Mac.

If I understood you correctly, it sounds thats while files are being transferred they are temporarily duplicated/occupying space on the hard drive twice, is that correct?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @KWhite1,

Desktop App does not host the file on your physical hard drive. When the files are copied over to a folder within the Desktop App, then they land into the uploads folder and make it to the cloud. Once the uploads are compete, the cached folder should clear off. 

Thanks.

KWhite1
Deputy

Jump to solution

Got that part now.

I understand it might be dependent on internet speed but what time would be considered reasonable for the cache to clear for a 10GB file?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @KWhite1,

You're right. The uploads will be dependent on the internet speeds at that very moment. Initial uploads will take a bit longer as they have to upload the entire file. Updates to the same file will be much faster.

Thanks.

0 Kudos