cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Shared folder syncing on Desktop Sync

Highlighted

Disable Shared folder syncing on Desktop Sync

Jump to solution

Is there a way to disable users having the ability to sync shared folders through Desktop sync? Having problems with users doing this and not only are we getting complaints about them running out of HDD space (because of this) but users are deleting files thinking it is only on their local computer and not also in the cloud. If there is a solution to this, it'll be much appreciated.

If Egnyte doesn't have a feature to disable that, I think they should give us the option to. We only want users to sync their private folders to their local computers and access the shared folders either through Egnyte drive or a NAS.

We tried to educate them on this, but if anyone has dealt with people, a lot of time they just don't listen.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Re: Disable Shared folder syncing on Desktop Sync

Jump to solution

Hi Vince,

It sounds like what you are looking for is to disallow sync for a folder or set of folders. Unfortunately, this is not available today.

However, I do have some suggestions for your situation. It sounds like you're running into some problems with users deleting files that they've synced down to their computer. Have you considered giving them a lower level of permission? For example, with "Editor" permissions, users will still be able to contribute to the folder, but they won't be able to delete any files from the cloud.

We also offer remote configuration tools for desktop sync that you can use to preconfigure sync for your users. This might help to prevent your users from syncing content in the Shared folders in the first place.

Hope this helps. In the meantime, I'll share your suggestion with our product team and add you as a +1 for this feature.

Thanks,
Shyam

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Vince,

It sounds like what you are looking for is to disallow sync for a folder or set of folders. Unfortunately, this is not available today.

However, I do have some suggestions for your situation. It sounds like you're running into some problems with users deleting files that they've synced down to their computer. Have you considered giving them a lower level of permission? For example, with "Editor" permissions, users will still be able to contribute to the folder, but they won't be able to delete any files from the cloud.

We also offer remote configuration tools for desktop sync that you can use to preconfigure sync for your users. This might help to prevent your users from syncing content in the Shared folders in the first place.

Hope this helps. In the meantime, I'll share your suggestion with our product team and add you as a +1 for this feature.

Thanks,
Shyam

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response, but they need to be able to delete and move files around through the NAS drive and cloud. The problem we're facing with is that they are also syncing it to the local computer. They're not deleting the files intentionally to get it off the cloud or NAS, they're just trying to get it off their local computer which is the problem because they don't realize it's syncing.

It's unfortunate there isn't an option to disallow sync for a folder through Desktop Sync. Perhaps later down the road.