cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have any experience getting connect working in an RDS environment?

Highlighted
Vigilante

Does anyone have any experience getting connect working in an RDS environment?

I have setup RDWeb and 2 x Session hosts, users are currently using drive passthrough to the mapped drive created by Egnyte Connect to save documents  (quotes, invoices etc) stored in egnyte to apps published on the RDS env. 

Some of our users with poor internet connections are noticing some pretty severe lag in doing this due to the nature of the data coming from Egnyte via their machine. 

I have been trying to setup the connect app on the session hosts so data can be uploaded to published apps on the same host without the passthrough to negate the bandwidth issues. 

Does anyone know of a way this can be achieved? connect is installed on both session hosts but i am noticing it does some funny things i.e. config loss after logoff, not showing as a mapped drive in the published app. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Steward

Re: Does anyone have any experience getting connect working in an RDS environment?

I would think a Netgear storage sync appliance or similar would be better way to service the RDS environment?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Re: Does anyone have any experience getting connect working in an RDS environment?

Hi @David Biddle1,

We have hardly heard about this setup being used with Egnyte. I am checking with my Product Team to see if there are any suggestion/workarounds to work this through. 

However, what @Dave Nish suggested would be a better option for quicker access.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Vigilante

Thanks,

The storage sync option is not really a road we want to go down as we have been taking steps to actively reduce the amount of on prem storage we have, we would rather not add any NAS devices. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Vigilante

Thanks Dave - we are trying not to add any on prem storage at the moment though, we have actually been trying to move most of our functions to SaaS, IaaS, DRaaS etc and get rid of our COLO DC. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Steward

storage device would be located at the same location as the RDS farm, not at the client side mapping into the RDP session

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Vigilante

Yeah I know, sorry if my reply was confusing.

RDS Farm is currently in our colo DC, we do not want to install any more hardware in that location and do not have the storage space required left on our SAN. 

We have some azure vm's so may look to move there, however for the immediate future the RD farm will remain in our datacentre.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Vigilante

Are you aware of anyway i can get egnyte connect working in an RDS farm? 

I have not looked that hard at the issue yet but at a quick glance the connect app does not launch when an application is launched from RDweb. 

Is there a limit on concurrent connections from one machine? 

This is a test environment at the moment so i am ok to meddle. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Steward

i'll take a look around.. and try do some testing.. but i think the way the storage driver works.. it might not be.. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hi @David Biddle1,

I had our Product Manager take a look at your question. 

In his opinion, RD runs on Windows Server 2012 but is not fully tested as an OS. 

Some known issues that may arise with Win Server include the inability to use right click menu options (like Share link) however working with files and file system operations should work as expected. Also if referencing files by UNC paths, multiple users may use drives with the same label and drive letter, however the UNC path will slightly differ for each user.

Regarding the problem with drive information not saving - as long the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry and the %localappdata%\EgnyteDrive location on disk are persisted so they remain the same after a user logs out and logs back in, the user should not need to log in again - this is true for any environment - Remote Desktop, Virtualized environments with multiple , VMs or Physical machines.

RE: Performance we can't say for sure but it's possible multiple simultaneous users are competing for shared resources off a single instance of RDWeb. Our recommended parameters in the install guide are for a single active user at a time.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos