Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't process files & subdirectories of a skipped parent directory in OLC

ES Admin
Resident

Don't process files & subdirectories of a skipped parent directory in OLC

Hey guys -

Currently, we have a ton of files in our OLC that are in a folder that has been designated to NOT sync - this is because we currently don't have the bandwidth to upload the folder, but we will be doing it in the future.

Unfortunately, there's about 20,000 files in that folder, and the sync process insists on going through all of them, despite that folder being designated to skip synchronization. It's effectively wasting CPU cycles because it's processing files I've told it to ignore.

It's not a big deal for most other customers I would guess, because the situation where data sits on the NAS without being synced is probably quite rare - but for us it's jamming up our sync queue waaaaaaay too much, for really no reason.

Please make this more efficient!

Cheers,

-W

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Re: Don't process files & subdirectories of a skipped parent directory in OLC

Hi Will,

Would it be possible for you to move some of that content our of the Local Cloud directory? Help me understand how you're using the Local Cloud folder.

Thanks,

Trey

0 Kudos
ES Admin
Resident

Re: Don't process files & subdirectories of a skipped parent directory in OLC

Nope, not at the moment. We have moved data access entirely to the NAS drive, so people are working on those files. The majority of them will not be changed, but we still need access to them. There are trade offs to keeping them on the server vs keeping them on the NAS, and when we look at the benefits, the NAS wins out. For the time being, we need to keep them there and those folders need to not sync.

The sync shouldn't really be processing folders that are skipped, though right? I mean, isn't this a pretty simple issue? If directory is designated as skipped, don't process it or its children?

I get that this is probably not something you guys will fix in a manner that is timely for us - that's fine.  I just figured eventually this would be something that should be addressed, because I can't imagine our company would be the only one that would find itself using the data in this manner.

0 Kudos