cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Egnyte connect desktop app (drive) takes up to 10 minutes to show up

Ellen Kaye
Deputy

Egnyte connect desktop app (drive) takes up to 10 minutes to show up

On a new install of Egnyte Connect Client 2.2, after a restart of Windows 10, it takes at least 10 minutes before the mapped drive Z: shows in file explorer.The menu choices in the app are not working during this same time period. Any ideas what can be done? I know this happened to another computer in our office a few years back on an older version and it got fixed, but I don't remember what the fix was.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Moderator Sagar

Re: Egnyte connect desktop app (drive) takes up to 10 minutes to show up

Hello @Ellen Kaye,

Thank you for writing to the community.

Do all the computers in your organisation exhibit a similar behvaior ? I did some digging and looked up the previous cases from you. There was one way back in 2012 and I could not find anything in particular that helped. You had restarted the machine a couple of times and re-installed the application to make it work. 

I tried to reproduce this by removing the Desktop App on my machine, but the app did show up fine post the restart. I suggest you get in touch with our support team. I am sure they would like to take a look at this issue and/or get some help from our engineering team. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Ellen Kaye
Deputy

This install used to work before the computer did a "recovery" and I had to reinstall all my software. Everyone else on our team is working fine. Support thought I needed to change to a new Windows User, but I have concerns about doing that..

Also, I did reinstall the app several times. Also, it doesn't close when I want to do a computer restart, it says "unmounting Egnyte drive" forever. I have to force a restart.

0 Kudos
Moderator Sagar

Hello @Ellen Kaye,

From what I have gathered through our communication, it certainly seems to be an issue on this particular computer you are working now. There is a strong possibility that the system recovery changed things in a way which cannot be reverted. 

You can have your IT person create a dummy user profile for you and then test the Desktop App. I am sure that since the Support team suggested you to try a different/new user profile, they must have checked their resources before asking you to walk this path.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Ellen Kaye
Deputy

I did the create new user profile for Windows. It did fix the issue. However, another user in our office, who recently installed the 2.2 upgrade, just had the exact same issue. The behavior causes Word and Excel to hang requiring a computer restart. Creating new profiles is not a simple task as it involves tedious file/folder transfers and other manipulations for the new user to gain access. I am blaming Egnyte for this mess. If I have one more user's computer in my office become unstable, I'll need to find a better cloud provider.This is unacceptable.

0 Kudos
Ellen Kaye
Deputy

I totally forgot to mention that even when the drive is finally showing, it eventually doesn't allow you to save to it. It may take a day or two, even with restarting the computer, but it will totally fail as a save drive going forward.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Sagar

Hello @Ellen Kaye,

This is serious and definitely not a common issue that we have seen. I request you to file a support case with support@egnyte.com. This way we can involve our engineering team too.

It is difficult to troubleshoot such cases via the community forum.

Thanks.

0 Kudos