Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of Support for Desktop Sync

AN
Vigilante

End of Support for Desktop Sync

Jump to solution

While I understand and appreciate the various advantages of Desktop App over Desktop Sync it would appear that the end of support for Desktop Sync and it's phasing out could potentially be fatal for our organisations continuing use of Egnyte: 

We are a project based organisation requiring employees to sync projects to continue working offsite where there often there is limited/no internet access. The projects are large such that it is impractical (and also not commercially desirable) for employees to sync the entire contents of a project folder to their laptops. As I understand it (and we have tested internally) one of the limitations of Desktop App is that if you select a folder for sync, you cannot exclude any of its child folders from sync. We have therefore stuck with Desktop Sync for local synchornisation as it allows for granular selection of project sub-folders. Bar changing the entire folder structure for our projects which is a non-starter, we cannot see a way around this issue. N.B. the projects have extensive folder tree structures which also makes it impractical to slect folders bottom up and invariably one gets stuck as there are often general files higher up then tree that one needs to access to.

Apologies for the long post and I trust that the above is clear. Hopefully somone can please confirm that we have the right end of the stick and are not missing something.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager KathleenHunt
Community Manager

Re: End of Support for Desktop Sync

Jump to solution

As you’ve heard, Egnyte will no longer support Desktop Sync as of December 31, 2019. We understand that change can be difficult. To help ease your concerns, we want you to know why this is happening, what to expect, and how to make a smooth transition to Desktop App. 

We're ending support for Desktop Sync because we have a better product available: the Desktop App. The Desktop App has most of the features that Desktop Sync offered, like Offline Access and Connected Folders. There is even added functionality like automatically locking open files when connected to the cloud to prevent conflicts. You can see a full comparison of the two products here. By consolidating on one desktop product, our teams can better focus their attention and efforts to better serve your needs. Currently, we’re working on bringing even more advanced features to the Desktop App, like granular sub-folder selection, in the coming months, so stay up-to-date on all our new releases by following the Updates section in the Helpdesk. 

When support officially ends, you will still be able to use Desktop Sync if you had previously installed it. However, we won’t release new features or bug fixes to it. For example, if Microsoft or Apple releases an Operating System update that isn't compatible with Desktop Sync, we will not release an update to resolve the issue.

To avoid possible disruptions and to make sure you have time to set up the Desktop App, we highly encourage you to make the transition from Desktop Sync to Desktop App before the end of support date. We've laid out simple steps in this article to help you through the process. If you have any trouble, please give our Support Team a call at 1-650-265-0500.

Thank you,

Kathleen

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Dave OKeefe
Deputy

Jump to solution

We are in the same boat.... Looking forward to having a easier sync option from the new Desktop App... We have 100's deployed with Desktop Sync and the need for selective sync is critical and setting this up needs to be way easier than doing some command line stuff. End Users need to be able to does this easily. I have heard that Egnyte is working on this..... I am not looking forward to managing this migration at all.... Going to be very hard to manage the already sync'd files and then make sure they are in sync with the newer Desktop App. 

0 Kudos
Evan Souliere
Vigilante

Jump to solution

Count me in as a concerned Desktop Sync user.

My company uses Autodesk Inventor heavily, and its functionality relies on locally-stored copies of project reference and template files. We tried using it with offline access in Egnyte Connect previously, but it wasn't "local" enough for Inventor and made using this setup impossible. Maybe that's changed?

I'm admittedly not sure what to do at this point.

0 Kudos
Dave OKeefe
Deputy

Jump to solution

Hi Evan, 

Did you try using the cmd prompt to setup the offline files?

0 Kudos
Evan Souliere
Vigilante

Jump to solution

I have not. I'd need to dig into it a bit.

What effect does it have setting up the offline files via command line versus the application interface?

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Nars_Support
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @AN 

Desktop App's [Sync for Offline Access] somewhat offers a granular sub-folder selection. However, the approach to configure such selection is slightly different from Desktop Sync's checkbox setup.

To prevent unwanted sub-folders from automatically getting marked for Offline Access, you will need to work your way backwards, starting from the bottom of the folder hierarchy and making your way to the top. 

For example:

/Shared/Folder A/Folder B/Folder C/

Within /Folder C/ are sub-folders:

/Folder D/
/Folder E/
/Folder F/

If you only wish to have Offline Access for /Folder D/ but not for /Folder E/ and /Folder F/, then you would simply designate /Folder D/ for Offline Access. 

The limiting factor with this approach is when there are data contents stored directly beneath parent folder /Folder C/ that you'd like to have Offline Access to. In this case, assigning Offline Access to /Folder C/ will automatically include sub-folders /Folder D/, /Folder E/, and /Folder F/ as you've described.

We recommend dropping our Desktop App team a line in the Ideas section for an Enhancement Request to further improve the current Offline Access implementation.

Regards,
Nars

AN
Vigilante

Jump to solution

Thank you, will do. Hopefully the Desktop App team will appreciate how important it is to have granular sub-folder selection.

Dave OKeefe
Deputy

Jump to solution

That is the most important feature... Egnyte has been amazing with the Sync app.... all those features need to be in the Desktop App... being able to re-diect user profile folder OR the ability to sync the default locations is my most important thing. We have 200+ devices deployed with Desktop Sync over Desktop app because they want all their data on their devices wherever they are. Then they CHOOSE what data want to connect over the interent on. Having them do Command Line entries is not for the End User level. 

0 Kudos
cmccomb
Vigilante

Jump to solution

This is a bad decision. 

The Desktop Sync app is so simple to use, and so effective.  The alternative currently in Desktop Connect is cumbersome, prone to mistakes, and most definitely NOT user-friendly.

I ask Engyte to show us the user community input that drove this mistake.

thanks

0 Kudos
Community Manager KathleenHunt
Community Manager

Jump to solution

As you’ve heard, Egnyte will no longer support Desktop Sync as of December 31, 2019. We understand that change can be difficult. To help ease your concerns, we want you to know why this is happening, what to expect, and how to make a smooth transition to Desktop App. 

We're ending support for Desktop Sync because we have a better product available: the Desktop App. The Desktop App has most of the features that Desktop Sync offered, like Offline Access and Connected Folders. There is even added functionality like automatically locking open files when connected to the cloud to prevent conflicts. You can see a full comparison of the two products here. By consolidating on one desktop product, our teams can better focus their attention and efforts to better serve your needs. Currently, we’re working on bringing even more advanced features to the Desktop App, like granular sub-folder selection, in the coming months, so stay up-to-date on all our new releases by following the Updates section in the Helpdesk. 

When support officially ends, you will still be able to use Desktop Sync if you had previously installed it. However, we won’t release new features or bug fixes to it. For example, if Microsoft or Apple releases an Operating System update that isn't compatible with Desktop Sync, we will not release an update to resolve the issue.

To avoid possible disruptions and to make sure you have time to set up the Desktop App, we highly encourage you to make the transition from Desktop Sync to Desktop App before the end of support date. We've laid out simple steps in this article to help you through the process. If you have any trouble, please give our Support Team a call at 1-650-265-0500.

Thank you,

Kathleen

0 Kudos