cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request - Sync Prioritization

Highlighted
Resident

Feature Request - Sync Prioritization

One of the issues we run into a lot is the need to have sync priority given to high priority folders which involve a lot of collaboration.  Alternatively, a better way to describe it is that it might be more about specifying which folders are low priority.

EXAMPLE - Right now I want to add a folder to my PLC that is about 5 gigabytes.  It is NOT a "high priority" folder, I'll access it rarely and there's little to no collaboration involved in it.  But I'm literally afraid to do it, because I know if I do, Egnyte will spend a day or two syncing that folder.  And that in the meantime, if I make changes to a folder that my team and I collaborate on CONSTANTLY, those changes won't be synced up until the low priority folder is done.

Perhaps what I am requesting might be difficult or even unfeasible to implement.  But I would really like a way to mark a TOP-LEVEL folder as "high priority" or "low priority".  When changes are made to high priority folders they should be given precedence.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Re: Feature Request - Sync Prioritization

That's an interesting idea, David. The use case is clear, but I think the best way for us to tackle this problem would be with a manageable sync queue of some kind. Of course, increasing sync speed so that sync prioritization is less of an issue in general would also be helpful.

I will forward your comments to the Sync product team. Thanks again for taking the time to post to our forums; we appreciate your business.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Resident

Hi Trey,

Thanks for listening.  If by manageable sync queue, you mean the user being able to somehow manually select a folder when they need to and then select "sync now" and have that folder be given priority, I agree 100%, that would be great, and would eliminate the need for settings (high priority or low priority) that would confuse people or never be used.  That would completely solve the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Thanks again for your feedback David. I'll add you as a +1 for the sync queue.

0 Kudos