cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File server mysteriously populated with hundreds of files ".icloud" files. Why?

KM65
Vigilante

File server mysteriously populated with hundreds of files ".icloud" files. Why?

Two days ago, my Egnyte file server was mysteriously populated by hundred of files with the .icloud extension. It appears as if the original files were moved to the trash and replaced with a ".oldfilename.extension.icloud".

Completely puzzled with how, or why, this happened. I need to restore hundreds and hundreds of files now, but can't do it in a massive batch as I might accidently overwrite something I actually want to keep. 

Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Employee Rahul
Employee

Re: File server mysteriously populated with hundreds of files ".icloud" files. Why?

Hi,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused in this regards. This will require analyzing the reports and going through the logs to understand the source application it was uploaded on Egnyte. 

I will request you to create a ticket at support@egnyte.com for further troubleshooting on the issue. 

Please update me with the ticket number created by you to make sure, I can also follow up on this with the assigned Agent.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee Rahul
Employee

Re: File server mysteriously populated with hundreds of files ".icloud" files. Why?

Hi,

Did you create a ticket with Egnyte Support for this issue?

0 Kudos
Community Manager Don David
Community Manager

Hi, 

It seems that you are using a built-in feature on macOS called  Optimize Mac Storage which can move data to iCloud automatically to free up some storage space. This does leave .icloud files but deletes the data on Egnyte. If that is the case, please reach out to our Support team at support@egnyte.com and we can assist you in turning this feature off. 

0 Kudos