Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder Info on Hover

Highlighted
David Haddad
Resident

Folder Info on Hover

Jump to solution

When selecting a web folder and then selecting Details & Options, it's possible to assign a description to a folder.  Then as the user hovers over the folder, the description pops up, sometimes.  This is a fantastic feature - when it works.

It appears to me as if someone bizarrely coded the description to only show up on hover on long descriptions. But the problem is that depending on the OS, browser and zoom level, the full description can't be seen on many folders (in the line right after them), but the hover function doesn't work because it was coded to only work on long descriptions.

Which makes what could be an incredible feature not very useful because the description on hover only appears on a very small percentage of folders.  But it's a great feature...when it works!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Folder Info on Hover

Jump to solution

Hi David,

Many thanks for the elaborate expalantion. Apart from the example you provided, are you seeing any specific use case where in the folder description does/does not show ? 

I will surely be testing this before I push this to our product team. But I was just wondering if you have anything to add to what you have already submitted.

REgards

Sagar.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
5 Replies
David Haddad
Resident

Jump to solution

This is what I am referring to.  However on folders with shorter descriptions, the folder description does not show up on hover, and the description cannot be read without looking at details and options.  This would be an incredible feature, if it worked.  I suppose we could add a bunch of dummy text to every folder description to get it to work the way it should.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi David,

Many thanks for the elaborate expalantion. Apart from the example you provided, are you seeing any specific use case where in the folder description does/does not show ? 

I will surely be testing this before I push this to our product team. But I was just wondering if you have anything to add to what you have already submitted.

REgards

Sagar.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
David Haddad
Resident

Jump to solution

Thanks Sagar.  Maybe this screenshot will help with what I'm trying to communicate.  I believe the programmer/s designed it so the hover description would only pop up if it was determined that the visible description (see below) is too long to be read.  Which is pretty brilliant.  In some instances I even notice that if I zoom my browser so that the description right after the folder gets truncated, that the hover feature starts to work.

But often it doesn't work, so then you end up with what you see below, a folder description that can't be read (other than clicking on Details & Options).  So I am suggesting that "show description on hover" should be programmed to always display, rather than trying to programmatically determine when it's necessary, which at least as of now, is not reliable.

Plus, I actually thing from a user interface standpoint there is no downside and a lot of upside to having it always display.  The user is more likely to read and pay attention to the description if it always pops up when they hover.  The user is also less likely to be confused and think "why does a description pop up on this folder but not on this folder", which is what can happen now.

Thanks.  Let me know if anything here is unclear.

0 Kudos
David Haddad
Resident

Jump to solution

p.s. If you read my last post right after I posted it, I made an error that made it confusing.  I just edited it to better explain.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi David,

I could not have asked for more. It is like you served everything to me on the plate. I cannot thank you enough for all your efforts. I will run this on my domain and send it over to the product team as soon as my testing is done.

I will write back when I hear from them about this.

Regards

Sagar.

0 Kudos