Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global change to folder permissions

Highlighted
Joe Sapienza
Resident

Global change to folder permissions

Jump to solution

Is it possible to change folder permissions by the folder name? I have a folder named "Creative-Dept-Only". Can I change the folder permissions for this folder to Admin access only?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Global change to folder permissions

Jump to solution

Hi Joe,

Absolutely! With Egnyte, you can change folder permissions at any level of your folder hierarchy. To change permissions for this folder to admins only, just navigate to the folder and open the Folder Permissions dialog. Then, you'll want to remove all users or groups that currently have access to the folder. Admins have access to everything by default, so they will continue to have access to this folder.

Hope this helps! You can learn more about how to set folder permissions in this article: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/201637444-Sharing-Folder-Access

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi Joe,

Absolutely! With Egnyte, you can change folder permissions at any level of your folder hierarchy. To change permissions for this folder to admins only, just navigate to the folder and open the Folder Permissions dialog. Then, you'll want to remove all users or groups that currently have access to the folder. Admins have access to everything by default, so they will continue to have access to this folder.

Hope this helps! You can learn more about how to set folder permissions in this article: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/201637444-Sharing-Folder-Access

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos
Joe Sapienza
Resident

Jump to solution

Yes, I under stand that but I am looking for a Global change. I don't want to go to hundreds of folders individually.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Joe,

I'm not sure I'm following. Can you please provide some more details on what you're looking to do here?

It sounds like you have a parent folder called "Creative-Dept-Only" with some subfolders within, and you want to limit access to that entire parent folder to just admin users. Is that right? You can actually accomplish this by removing users' permissions at the parent level — their permissions will also be removed at any subfolders below, unless you have explicitly granted a user a different level of permission for one of the subfolders.

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos
Matthew Travis
Resident

Jump to solution

I have a similar issue to Joe's--- we have several layers of subfolders that individual owners have at different times granted other users access to. I know need to do a global reset to remove all of those subfolder permissions. Is there a method to do this, or any better method than opening each folder (200+) and checking 'Share' to see who has permissions? Thanks for any assistance

-Mat

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Matthew,

Currently we do not have a way or a report to show the permissions folder wise. But this can be made a bit easy if you select all the users in the user permission report and run it once. It will gather all the permissions for the selected users and you can then sort/filter the results as per your requirement. 

Report for folder permissions has been requested by quite a few users, but I am sure if thisis not being implemented, there would be some challenges/complexities the product team is facing. 

I hope this come through soon. 

Regards

Sagar.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

Any news on this one?

It´d be very helpful to integrate a permission system based on folders name.

Say that I have 50 project folders, all of them with a subfolder called "0.Admin". So, I need all the folders called "0.Admin" to automatically have a certain type of permissions, more restrictive than the rest of subfolders.

Rafel

0 Kudos
Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi @Rafael Alonso Candau

Unfortunately we don't currently have plans for this. I found a similar Idea in our Idea exchange here, which was declined by our product team due to the vastness of the scope. I encourage you to add your comments and kudos in that post. Once something is marked as "declined," it can still be overturned and added to our roadmap. 

We do have a folder permissions report that can be checked, @Matthew Travis, so you can see which folders have which permissions. You can learn more about that report here

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos