cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide proxy log-in password at PLC network proxy parameters

igm cloud admin
Vigilante

Hide proxy log-in password at PLC network proxy parameters

For entering the Network Proxy Parameters in the Sync Settings page of the PLC, the user name and password for the proxy server can only be entered in clear text and will be permanently shown in the PLC setting page.

Since the log-on passwords are more and more strict for safety reasons, I think it is irresponsible from engyte to enter an log-on password in clear text.

Hence I suggest, to enhance the GUI at your PLC in that way, to have a check box for activating or deactivating the proxy support and to enter once the Network Proxy Parameters in the Sync Settings page of the PLC in hidden characters.

Thanks for your valued feedback!

Werner

13 Replies
igm cloud admin
Vigilante

Re: Hide proxy log-in password at PLC network proxy parameters

In case of the ELC, the proxy settings are handled properly, so that no proxy password is shown in clear text.

Can this be also arranged in the PLC?

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Thanks for the feedback Werner. This type of detailed feedback is exactly what we are looking for on these forums. I will take this up with the product manager for Personal Local Cloud and will post any updates I have on this forum.

Thanks for choosing Egnyte!

Trey

0 Kudos
Highlighted
igm cloud admin
Vigilante

thanks Trey :-)

0 Kudos

hello Trey,

is there any update on this feature?

Simon

0 Kudos
Retired Employee

Hi Simon,

This is coming in the next release for Personal Local Cloud (early June). Thanks for your question,

Trey

0 Kudos
igm cloud admin
Vigilante

Trey,

June will begin tomorrow .... so we are all eager to wait for your new PLC to close this potential security risk in early June.

thanks!

WERNER

0 Kudos
Retired Employee

Hi Werner,

The release of PLC 7.8 is imminent; we're wrapping up Beta testing and it should be ready for everybody to download next week. 

Unfortunately, this feature has been moved to PLC 7.9; which is probably still a month away.

PLC 7.8 has some really cool features in it: two factor authentication for PLC log-in, PLC client tracking from our new "Devices" page, and an Office 2013 integration. 

Thanks for your patience and your business,

Trey

0 Kudos
igm cloud admin
Vigilante

Hi Trey,

Today I updated Personal Local Cloud Version **7.8.300 (79786) **and I was hoping that this safety bug will be resolved.

But as you have mentioned a monts ago, Engyte users will have to wait for PLC 7.9, so get this safety bug fixed.

I am sure, no IT admin will appreciate windows user login passwords stored in clear text on a software tool, am I right?

In case of ELC you have also managed to hide the password! Why this can not be implemented also in the PLC?

Thanks for your follow up!

WERNER

0 Kudos
igm cloud admin
Vigilante

Hi Trey,

please note, that this safety issue is still pending!

WINDOWS passwords are still stored in clear text in the PLC tool at the proxy setting.

Thanks for your follow up Trey!

WERNER

0 Kudos