Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you create an exclusion?

Highlighted

How do you create an exclusion?

Jump to solution

Hi,

There's a great article about removing access to sub folders, called "exclusions".
But it would be great if there was an explanation on how to create them.
Does anyone know how? I can add permissions, but there's no option for adding "No Access" or create an Exclusion!

Kind Regards

Matthew

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: How do you create an exclusion?

Jump to solution

Hi Matthew,

"No Access" is as good as excluded from the list of users who have permissions. When you assign the permissions to a folder, only the people you add to the folder permissions window are able to see/access the permissions. There is no specific need to exclude them from the permission list.

Let me know if this answers your question or is it something else that you are looking at.

Thanks

Sagar.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Matthew,

"No Access" is as good as excluded from the list of users who have permissions. When you assign the permissions to a folder, only the people you add to the folder permissions window are able to see/access the permissions. There is no specific need to exclude them from the permission list.

Let me know if this answers your question or is it something else that you are looking at.

Thanks

Sagar.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks, but no.

I have a folder with access granted to User A and User B, like the second example (Sales). I have done this by clicking on the folder and adding the users with the appropriate security level. (WebUI)
However, a sub folder exists that I want User B excluded from accessing (accounts). So I need to create an exclusion. Where is the menu option to do this? I can see manage permissions, but you can only add users and the lowest permission is "Read Only", there is no "No Access" option listed.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

So I can ADD permission as in the picture, BUT how do I REMOVE access to a SUB-folder?

So I have given access to the main folder, as above, and now I want to create an EXCLUSION for User B

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Matthew,

Let us close this thread and I will communicate with you via the support case filed for this one. 

Thanks

Sagar.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

May I suggest adding the solution here too, as the instructions on the article are inadequate?

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Matthew,

In the example that you provided, you are looking for excluding User B from a sub-folder that exists. In such case you will have to explicitly browse to the subfolder, open the permissions dialog box and remove the User B from the list. There is no specific way to create an exclusion list t deny access to specific sub folders. 

Egnyte permissions work on the principle of inheritance. So all sub-folders carry their permissions from the Parent folder by default. If you wish to remove the permissions to any sub-folder, then you will have to do it manually like mentioned above. 

I hope that helps and explains the permissions model Egnyte works with. 

Thanks

Sagar.