cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I delete a user, what happens to folders files they own?

Highlighted
Joe Schultz
Resident

If I delete a user, what happens to folders files they own?

Jump to solution

We have a number of deactivated power users and standard users, who've left our organization. I'd like to delete some of the accounts. What will happen to any folders or files that they created and therefore "own"?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Re: If I delete a user, what happens to folders files they own?

Jump to solution

Hi Joe,

Good question. The first thing to note is that you don't need to worry about any of the data in the "Shared" section of your account; deleting users won't affect any of the data in the Shared section.

However, if you delete a power user, his/her private folder (and any files within) will be deleted and sent to the trash. You can restore the user's private folder from the trash, though. It will automatically be sent to Shared/Files from Deleted Users.

Of course, you can always move the data out of your users' private folders prior to deleting them. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Shyam

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Joe,

Good question. The first thing to note is that you don't need to worry about any of the data in the "Shared" section of your account; deleting users won't affect any of the data in the Shared section.

However, if you delete a power user, his/her private folder (and any files within) will be deleted and sent to the trash. You can restore the user's private folder from the trash, though. It will automatically be sent to Shared/Files from Deleted Users.

Of course, you can always move the data out of your users' private folders prior to deleting them. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Shyam

0 Kudos
Joe Schultz
Resident

Jump to solution

Great, thanks.

0 Kudos
Noble Pettus2
Resident

Jump to solution

I deleted a Power User by accident.  Is there a way I can restore that power user and all of their settings, private folders, etc?  

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Noble,

You can restore the private folder of the deleted power user. This restored folder wil be restored under a special folder 'Files from Deleted Users' below Shared.

Unfortunately, there is no way to restore the user account. You will have to create a new account for this user and re-assign the permissions to the required folders. 

Regards

Sagar.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos