Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial Seeding of Storage Sync Appliance on VMware using WinSCP doesn't work

Highlighted
Resident

Initial Seeding of Storage Sync Appliance on VMware using WinSCP doesn't work

Jump to solution

The instructions How do I migrate my data to the Storage Sync? do not work. 

I am running WinSCP 5.11.  I select SCP, Enter my host name, port is default 22, Username "root" and click login.  It pops up and asks for password and I live it blank and it asks two more time before failing.  I then tried putty wih the same experiens.  I even tried using AD creds on the chance that it might work!

What gives!  Can I set a password on the Storage Sync Appliance?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Deputy

Re: Initial Seeding of Storage Sync Appliance on VMware using WinSCP doesn't work

Jump to solution

Hi ,

I had the same experience using putty. I couldn't ssh to the SS appliance using the root user. However I could ssh as egnyteservice user, which is in the sudo list, then you can sudo su to have root privileges. The default egnyteservice password is in this document link:

https://productreleases.egnyte.com/dl/HisUszYTdg

You can also access the SS Web UI to change the egnyteservice password.

I only use Putty ssh to move smaller files like logs for troubleshooting though. Have you considered mapping the SS UNC (\\<SS_IP_address_or_servername\ELC) path to a drive on your Windows computer (use Map Network Drive in Windows Explorer) instead of WinSCP/Putty? then you can drag and drop your files to that mapped drive for initial seeding? 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Deputy

Re: Initial Seeding of Storage Sync Appliance on VMware using WinSCP doesn't work

Jump to solution

Hi ,

I had the same experience using putty. I couldn't ssh to the SS appliance using the root user. However I could ssh as egnyteservice user, which is in the sudo list, then you can sudo su to have root privileges. The default egnyteservice password is in this document link:

https://productreleases.egnyte.com/dl/HisUszYTdg

You can also access the SS Web UI to change the egnyteservice password.

I only use Putty ssh to move smaller files like logs for troubleshooting though. Have you considered mapping the SS UNC (\\<SS_IP_address_or_servername\ELC) path to a drive on your Windows computer (use Map Network Drive in Windows Explorer) instead of WinSCP/Putty? then you can drag and drop your files to that mapped drive for initial seeding? 

View solution in original post