cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration with Time Machine (OSX) - is this possible?

jpb1977
Vigilante

Integration with Time Machine (OSX) - is this possible?

Hello all,

I'm wondering if the desktop app (and drive setup) can be configured in such a way that it would be beneficial (or even possible) to route Time Machine backups to the cloud through Egnyte?

I have also had experience using Carbon Copy Cloner which essentially keeps a 2nd hard drive in lockstep with the primary.  Is this more the functionality that should be used?

Any gotchas I should be aware of?  Thank you!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Integration with Time Machine (OSX) - is this possible?

Hi @jpb1977,

This has not been tried or tested as far as I know. We have not see many users have used this setup in the past couple of years. 

I will still get a word from the Product Team and write back. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi @jpb1977,

I discussed this issue with our Product Team. 

Now a Time Machine backup disk is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Not sure if this is some type of a DB. If it is, then we would suggest you create a cron job to copy the file that is created to Egnyte Volume on a periodic basis. Egnyte is not designed to host active db's - but a passive db - where you just archive a copy should work.

This is a tricky scenario coz we are not sure if the backup file is recoverable later. If that file has some random metadata on it, then we suggest you double-check the restore process, just in case Apple adds specific metadata to the file that is stripped when uploaded to the cloud. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
jpb1977
Vigilante

Thank you for looking into this.  I think what you are saying is, I can take the Time Machine backup FILES (from an actual physical hard drive that is the Time Machine backup), zip them, upload and have them in the cloud.

This doesn't negate the need for a Time Machine drive, it just allows it to be backed up, correct?

Time Machine doesn't see the Egnyte drive as a volume it can use, I've learned that much in my testing so far.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

@jpb1977,

You are right. But our focus is not just backing up the files, but also restoring them to see if they indeed give you a readable/workable format backup file. 

Additionally, if Time Machine doesn't see the Egnyte drive as a volume it can use, then you would need to work around this scenario in a different way such that the Time Machine Backups are copied to Egnyte Drive automatically. You can try a cronjob and see if that works. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Alan Peterson
Resident

I have the same question???

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hello @Alan Peterson,

Things have not changed much since the last reply to this post. I don't believe Time Machine has changed on this front. Until the Egnyte drive is not seen as a volume it can use and if the format of the backup file is recoverable and usable again. 

You might also want to submit this idea to our Ideas board so it gets in front of our Product team. They will assess the use case and see if it's a need for other customers and decide if it's something that will be on the roadmap

Thanks.

0 Kudos