cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Cloud Client Should Check Permissions Before Uploading Files Rather T

Weather Tight
Resident

Local Cloud Client Should Check Permissions Before Uploading Files Rather T

The Egnyte Local Cloud client will upload a file before checking the permissions on the folder the file is uploading to.  If a user has read-only access to a cloud folder in the Egnyte share and adds a 300 MB file to the folder on his local PC, the client will spend hours uploading the 300 MB file and only when the file upload has completed will it check the permissions and skip the file.

This behavior is a tremendous waste of time and bandwidth, and it effectively keeps any other changes from being synced until the erroneous upload is completed.  It also performs the erroneous uploadas part of every subsequent sync operation.  I have had users that were basically unable to sync because they had accidentally moved a folder of videos that is read-only in the Egnyte cloud.  This had to be fixed manually and the sync client completely reconfigured.

The client should be changed such that the permissions are calculated first and a file that is to be uploaded is skipped before the upload is started if the user does not have write access to the destination folder.

Labels (1)
6 Replies
Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Re: Local Cloud Client Should Check Permissions Before Uploading Files Rather T

Hi Erik,

We've looked at doing this both ways (checking permissions before sync vs. after) and determined that for the vast majority of sync jobs, it's cheaper/faster to check permissions second. 

Thanks for taking the time to post on our forums to make a specific suggestion on our forums, and for choosing Egnyte.

Trey

0 Kudos
Weather Tight
Resident

Trey,

Thanks for the feedback.  If this isn't to become the default behavior, would it be possible to add it as a setting?  Preferably as a system/account setting, but even a setting in the client would be ok.

To be honest, I am testing replacements for Egnyte currently and this is the biggest reason why.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Retired Employee

Hey Erik,

I double-checked and we actually have a fix coming for this. Unfortunately, I can't provide an estimate for when we will deliver it.

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with; we don't want to see you go.

Trey

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Randy Lessor1
Resident

This would be important and save bandwidth. Keep us posted.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee

I will keep you posted. Thanks for your patience.

• Trey
0 Kudos

This issue has raised its ugly head with us in a fairly significant way. One user put some sizeable files into his local cloud and expected them to sync up to the Egnyte server. Because the Desktop Sync doesn't check permissions first before uploading his computer has been constantly uploading files for the last week, unbeknownst to him or me. Each time it uploads gigabytes of data, finds it can't save them (because he doesn't have write access to the folder), and then immediately starts uploading them again. This has resulted in a major slowdown of our network, and potentially we have exceeded our connectivity data allowance for the month.

Trey, you mentioned a couple of years ago you have a fix coming for this. What is the latest?

Kind regards, Michael

0 Kudos