Did you mean: 

New to Egnyte

Highlighted
JeffShef
Vigilante

New to Egnyte

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I'm that guy.  I'm rather new to Egnyte.  I've been using the Office version for my own business for about 6 months and so far so good.

I'm an MSP looking to move a client’s cloud files from something called "ShareSync (Intermedia)" to Egnyte Business with Admin option and Storage Sync (VM)

The client is an engineering firm with about 50 employees.  Of the 50, 35 of them spend a significant amount of time in the field.  When in the field, they often do not have access to internet until the end of the day.  So they make sure they have local copies of files they need for the projects they are working on that day or week.

Their total data store is about 3.5TB and is approximately 1 million files.

Currently we have many issues with "conflicted" copies of files on the workstations and numerous other sync issues.

In contemplating this move to Egnyte we have many questions.

1. We are considering using Egnyte Pro Serivces to help with the migration.  Any experiences good or bad in working with Pro services?
  2. If we do not use Pro Services, my research has pointed me in the direction of using SyncBackPro as a migration tool from the network file server to the StorageSync share.  Any Pitfalls or gotcha's in this method?  
  3. Has anyone used Pro Services for "Mass Deployment" of the Windows clients to the users?  Was it good or bad?
  4. File/folder lengths and illegal characters are a big concern, any good ways to pre-scanning to remediate this ahead of the migration?
  5. It great that there is an "ideas" page on the website but it looks like the dev cycle is painfully long.  Was looking at one idea that was accepted in 2011 and rolled out in 2018.  Is that normal?
  6. Lastly, any general advice from those that have gone on before me?

I'll stop there.  I appreciate anyone who took the time to read my saga.

Thank you,

Jeff Sheffer

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustinEsgar
Resident

Re: New to Egnyte

Jump to solution

Hi Jeff. I wrote a whole long thing but my Chrome crashed, and now i'm writing it again - but going to be shorter.

TL;dr - I'm also an MSP - I helped a client who already had the initial call with Egnyte and bought it and hired the PS to help them.  We helped get the Macs and Mac server to migrate in with the PCs and Windows servers.

We used FileZilla to move the Mac data - thanks to the help of PS.  But once we learned the tricks we used those steps on other clients that we've migrated. Their services help b/c someone will be watching the sync and making sure it moves, instead of it being on you. I think it was a good experience overall b/c it taught us a lot about their system.

Skipping down to #4 - yeah this is a big one.  We ran multiple tools on the Macs and eventually the PC's we migrated (other clients) to remove illegal characters, leftover Word Work Temp files, .DS_Store files, and the like.  Also, egnyte has a limit on characters - so that file you hate, the one called "Project A for Client B final final rev.2 final.pptx.xls" - yeah that won't upload.  So you'll have to run the cleaning tools before and during the sync.

All in all (and this is much shorter than last time) - if you haven't ever done a sync to Egnyte use the PS at least once to learn their tips and tricks.

4 Replies
Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Welcome to Egnyte, @JeffShef! I'm glad to hear things are going well so far. I'll let the community respond to most of your questions since you're looking for their input but I did want to shed some light on the Ideas page for you.

A large percentage of our new features come from the ideas we receive from customers. Some ideas definitely take longer to launch than others, but we prioritize by a combo of feasibility and impact on our customer base (ideas that will help the largest number of customers typically take priority so kudo the ideas that will be most impactful to you so your feedback can be heard!).

We launched this new community in 2018. Prior to this setup, we did not have the ability to mark ideas with a status. When we migrated hundreds of legacy ideas, they did not carry a "Delivered" status since that didn't exist. We are currently in the process of updating all of the ideas with the appropriate tags. Some ideas may have been from 5+ years ago and will now show up with the delivered tag, even though they were delivered years ago. While it's possible that an idea took that long to deliver, in most cases it is a function of us cleaning up the older ideas from our migration. Hope that helps.

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos
JeffShef
Vigilante

Jump to solution

Thanks Julie, that makes sense.

0 Kudos
JustinEsgar
Resident

Jump to solution

Hi Jeff. I wrote a whole long thing but my Chrome crashed, and now i'm writing it again - but going to be shorter.

TL;dr - I'm also an MSP - I helped a client who already had the initial call with Egnyte and bought it and hired the PS to help them.  We helped get the Macs and Mac server to migrate in with the PCs and Windows servers.

We used FileZilla to move the Mac data - thanks to the help of PS.  But once we learned the tricks we used those steps on other clients that we've migrated. Their services help b/c someone will be watching the sync and making sure it moves, instead of it being on you. I think it was a good experience overall b/c it taught us a lot about their system.

Skipping down to #4 - yeah this is a big one.  We ran multiple tools on the Macs and eventually the PC's we migrated (other clients) to remove illegal characters, leftover Word Work Temp files, .DS_Store files, and the like.  Also, egnyte has a limit on characters - so that file you hate, the one called "Project A for Client B final final rev.2 final.pptx.xls" - yeah that won't upload.  So you'll have to run the cleaning tools before and during the sync.

All in all (and this is much shorter than last time) - if you haven't ever done a sync to Egnyte use the PS at least once to learn their tips and tricks.

JeffShef
Vigilante

Jump to solution

Thank you for taking the time with this reply.  It is very helpful.  

0 Kudos