Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline Sync Easier Access

Highlighted
Vigilante

Offline Sync Easier Access

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've recently updated from Desktop Sync to the Desktop App and was wondering if there was an easier way to access the offline version of the offline synced folders.  Currently, we have a third-party database program that can process and visualize the information stored on our cloud drive.  We have found that connecting that program to the Z: drive dramatically slows down the process but connecting that program to the offline synced version works perfectly.  With Desktop Sync the offline folder was stored right under the C: drive so it was easy to get the file location, but now it's tucked away in the AppData folder which I can get to but it takes more steps.  Is there a way to change the directory of the offline files so that referring to the folder location is less of a pain?

Greg

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Re: Offline Sync Easier Access

Jump to solution

@greg_at_ppm Noted, but the ability to sync something native from the C: drive ( @GregHilleren 's original use case) is definitely different than choosing a different default location for the "Marked Offline" folders (and download/upload cache) for DA. I pointed both of these threads out to our Product team for review as I believe Connected Folders (for Greg H's question) and the upcoming release I referenced (for your concern) will answer both items. Stay tuned please.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

@greg_at_ppm Desktop App version 3.7 now supports the requirement to install to a different path (e.g. D:\ drive): https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040239451-Desktop-App-3-7-0-for-Windows-February-26...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Deputy

Jump to solution

Any updates on the issue that the offline folder location cannot be changed? I would like to have all offline files on drive D (win10)

Frank.

Highlighted
Vigilante

Jump to solution

Where is ths offline location for macOS?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

HI,

Please find the path location.

library-Application Support-EgnyteDrive

Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Rahul, 

My customer tested this path on her mac, and it wouldn't work.

Is there an alternative? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Vigilante

Jump to solution

Thank you, Nars!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hello-- it was recently called to our attention that some additional and more accurate detail could be provided for this question that other customers are still asking and seeking responses for. Please see the latest from our experts: 

Egnyte does not support database files (referenced in the question). But to separately answer the question of "How can I access synced files directly on my C drive, not through the Desktop App drive (e.g. Z:\)?", we recommend utilizing Connected Folders:

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026687112-Connected-Folders-on-the-Desktop-App

We don't recommend or support interacting directly with the files synced under the /Users profile location as it may cause Desktop App to fail or corrupt data. It should only be accessed by the Desktop App application, while users access the files presented through the virtual mapped drive (e.g. Z:\) or via the Connected Folder.

We hope this provides clarity!

Highlighted
Good Citizen

Jump to solution

This actually isn't an answer to the poster's question, and is still leaving some users in the dark about being able to change the location of where Egnyte Desktop App stores the data. I would not consider this thread to be solved.

This is actually a serious issue for our organization, as our users need to have large numbers of large files synced locally to make working on them efficient. Our OS hard drives are SSD drives and not as large as our HDD data drives, which means that we can start to fill our OS drives unnecessarily when that much data is synced, which in turn can cause performance issues.

This is a standard option for most file syncing apps that allow local syncing of cloud data, and is sorely missing here. Additionally - connected folders don't allow the same flexibility as the Desktop Sync app did with the way it stores and syncs data. We can not afford to move over to the Connect app until this is actually resolved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

The original poster asked how to have files stored in the C: drive, natively on the workstation, synced with Egnyte because they have a third-party database reliant on that ability (mostly for performance). That is exactly what Connected Folders does and I would say even better than Desktop Sync. I would be interested in knowing what your gap in features are to better answer your company's specific requirements. 

But there is a near-future release coming that does allow you to designate a different location for the Desktop App folders (than under the /Users location), but I am not yet sure whether it will support placing on external disk. Many vendors (of any merit) have not supported syncing to external drives for years due to the unstable connectivity and/or inability to natively control the connection as tightly as local disk. 

Please let your Egnyte contact or Egnyte Support know the gap in features related to your use case and we'll make sure to follow up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Good Citizen

Jump to solution

From original poster: "Is there a way to change the directory of the offline files so that referring to the folder location is less of a pain?"

This is the specific question, which is also the crux of the issue for the user, that was not answered or addressed. I did find more useful reponses in another thread: 

https://community.egnyte.com/t5/Ideas/Ability-to-change-where-synced-data-is-stored-locally-with-the...

0 Kudos