cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only allow move delete permissions on files, not entire folders

Chris Hathaway
Resident

Only allow move delete permissions on files, not entire folders

We've been having a bit of trouble recently where one of our users might accidentally move or delete a very large folder without realizing it, and then the desktop sync will move/delete it for everyone.

I do need to allow these users to move/delete individual files, but I was wondering if we could have some way to limit this permission.  Could we have the permission be that they can only move/delete any individual files but not whole folders?  This seems like it might be easier to implement than the prompt that was suggested elsewhere...

Labels (1)
2 Replies
Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Re: Only allow move delete permissions on files, not entire folders

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback. As you know, this isn't currently possible with our permissions model. Users who are granted Full or Owner privileges will be able to delete/move both files and folders.

Adding another layer that lets you control whether users can move/delete folders does sound interesting, but I don't believe we're currently planning this. However, I'll share this with our product team and we'll keep this in mind as we continue to develop our long-term roadmap.

• Shyam
Highlighted
Randy Lessor1
Resident

Re: Only allow move delete permissions on files, not entire folders

I am not sure I believe this response from Egnyte as we too see this way to often. Maybe a review once again should occur as our folders have permissions set properly but this continues to occur.

0 Kudos
Users online (480)
Top Solution Authors