Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permissions for user-created files and subfolders

M.E. Garley
Resident

Permissions for user-created files and subfolders

Jump to solution

Is there a permission setting that allows users to manage only the content they create?  I want the users to be owners of the sub-folders and files they create while having editor permission to the entire shared folder.  It seems crazy to me that a person can't move or delete the file that THEY uploaded.  I need to protect the other content in the folder from accidental deletion or moving.  

I set up users as editors thinking that they would have full control over their own files and subfolders.  Please tell me there is a way to make this the case!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Permissions for user-created files and subfolders

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you for writing to us about. Egnyte's permission structure works on the fundamentals of inheritance.

So if a user is assigned editor permissions to folder A, then all the sub-folders which are created under folder A inherit the editor permissions from its parent. The only way you can change this behavior is to promote the permissions of the sub-folders or give the specific user Owner access on the parent folder. 

I will still try and see if there is a way out of this, but until then you can work with the way explained above. I will send another note once I am done testing all possibilities myself.

Regards

Sagar

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
3 Replies
Highlighted
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you for writing to us about. Egnyte's permission structure works on the fundamentals of inheritance.

So if a user is assigned editor permissions to folder A, then all the sub-folders which are created under folder A inherit the editor permissions from its parent. The only way you can change this behavior is to promote the permissions of the sub-folders or give the specific user Owner access on the parent folder. 

I will still try and see if there is a way out of this, but until then you can work with the way explained above. I will send another note once I am done testing all possibilities myself.

Regards

Sagar

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
tracyunc
Vigilante

Jump to solution

If you created a dyamic role of author (listed in the column where names are) then you could assign permissions to that role, for that folder.  Typically, I would imagine customers would grant permissions widely as Editors but the role of author woudl be set to Full.  

This would allow me to be an Editor and create content yet delete my own content as an author.  

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @tracyunc,

Thank you for your feedback. I see that the current permission structure does not exactly suit your requirement.

You might want to submit this idea to our Ideas board so it gets in front of our Product team. They will assess the use case and see if it's a need for other customers and decide if it's something that will be on the roadmap.

Thanks.