Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Assistant - Access to boss' Private Folder on OLC

Highlighted
Resident

Personal Assistant - Access to boss' Private Folder on OLC

Jump to solution

I does not seem that a Admin Assistant can have access to their boss's private folder.  This is very common in "traditional" file servers.  Can this be allowed from the OLC\ELC?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Re: Personal Assistant - Access to boss' Private Folder on OLC

Jump to solution

Gentlemen,

Access to any private folder other than the user's own private folder can only be achieved if the user is an administrator. You already must be aware that the administrator is a user who gets access to all areas of the Egnyte File Server by default.

The Private section of Egnyte is meant for the users to keep their data Private as the name suggests. Owing to this it would be difficult to implement any such feature where a Private folder of an admin would be exposed to another user other than an administrator.

Regards

Sagar

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Steward

Jump to solution

Delegate access to Boss private folder is definitely needed!

One work around i'm considering is mounting a second drive in Egnyte Drive and setting the path to the absolute path of the personal folder

Not ideal.. but it'll at least get them the data they need

Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Gentlemen,

Access to any private folder other than the user's own private folder can only be achieved if the user is an administrator. You already must be aware that the administrator is a user who gets access to all areas of the Egnyte File Server by default.

The Private section of Egnyte is meant for the users to keep their data Private as the name suggests. Owing to this it would be difficult to implement any such feature where a Private folder of an admin would be exposed to another user other than an administrator.

Regards

Sagar

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Steward

Jump to solution

Hi Sagar,

I see what you're saying.. and let me explain why your approach is not the right idea.

Partners/Directors are not able to grant access to their personal assistants

• The Egnyte work around of creating but yet another top level folder for PA is just silly when they have a perfectly good personal folder already, this would confuse users with having two personal folders, stupid.
    *** Bad User Experience Alert ***

If the user or “owner” of the personal folder wants to share the folder with another member of staff it should be their choice.
yes they can share as ready only, but they need edit/full access permissions

Your rigid approach is not in favour of collaboration.

Dave

Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Dave,

We welcome your suggestions. What I mentioned was Egnyte's idea/approach towards the Shared/Private. I will definitely make sure to pass on your thoughts to the Product team and seek their thoughts. 

Thank you for you feedback. 

Regards

Sagar.

0 Kudos