Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for files in OSX using Egnyte Connect

Tim West-Heiss
Resident

Searching for files in OSX using Egnyte Connect

Jump to solution

How do I set up Egnyte Connect to be searchable on OSX? I have the folder open and I can't search using any inherent osx function. Do I have the wrong application for what I am trying to do? 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager KathleenHunt
Community Manager

Re: Searching for files in OSX using Egnyt Connect

Jump to solution

@Simon Mason @Tim West-Heiss 

Desktop App 3.5 for Mac has been released, so you can now search for files and folders from the Desktop App menu! You can also quickly find files you've recently worked on for easy access to the most relevant content.

You can read more about the recent release here.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @Tim West-Heiss,

Thank you for writing to the community.

The search on MAC machines is done by spotlight search.

To use spotlight search the disc has to be indexed. Only physically connected drives are automatically indexed on a MAC. If you want to index network drive you have to trigger it forcefully. This is an OS level challenge that we are facing to get this to work.

We are planning on adding a search capability to the Desktop App - since the files aren't stored locally on the user's computer we can't use the built-in search of the operating system, so we'll be adding our own search interface that uses the same search technology as we have on the Web and Mobile apps.

This was already asked by a few Egnyte users and you can find the related post in the Ideas section. You can add your vote here.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Simon Mason
Steward

Jump to solution

Is there any progress on this?  It is challenging not being able to search on the Mac Desktop when using Egnyte Connect.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Community Manager KathleenHunt
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Simon Mason @Tim West-Heiss 

Desktop App 3.5 for Mac has been released, so you can now search for files and folders from the Desktop App menu! You can also quickly find files you've recently worked on for easy access to the most relevant content.

You can read more about the recent release here.

0 Kudos
jake_bernstein
Resident

Jump to solution

While this is a nice feature, it does not solve the issue: Egnyte still can't expose its files to Spotlight indexing, so everything that relies on Spotlight on macOS is still broken. Given that OneDrive, Dropbox, and Google Drive all manage to handle this fine, this is disappointing (note that Google Drive and OneDrive and Box all implement "on demand" files so the whole network drive isn't downloaded locally...but indexing still works). 

0 Kudos
Gary Ludwig1
Vigilante

Jump to solution

This is really only partly solved (unless I'm missing something). I can't see a way to drill down in my search parameters to search only in a specific folder, and/or for a specific file type. It seems as though it is a simple, broad, name-based search of all my files. It's better than nothing, but it's actually pretty crude compared to being able to use Spotlight to search the previous version of the app. Are there any plans to make that function more robust?

0 Kudos