Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Windows Server Hybrid Solution Suggestions

LACT
Resident

Simple Windows Server Hybrid Solution Suggestions

Hi team,

I'm looking for some help on a configuration. I have a client with a Windows server storage environment with around 3TB of storage. We've been using a previous cloud storage vendor that allowed us to run an agent on the server, which uploads all files from the server to keep them in sync with their cloud versions.

Now that I want to switch to Egnyte, I'm struggling with how to accomplish something similar without making a major hardware investment.

This is a VERY small office, just 4 users. The purpose of Egnyte is to allow the owners to work from home, or for remote consultants to collaborate.

As far as I understand it, these are my options

1. Buy a Netgear, migrate the files shares to be on this Netgear and then sync the netgear to the cloud with Netgear plugin. (as far as i can tell this requires buying a $1,299 NAS plus drives for a client who alreday has a windows server and a synology NAS - pretty wasteful)

2. Buy a VM-host server to run the hyper-v Storage sync application to keep the current windows server storage in sync with the cloud. (this will coast around $2K and adds additional administrative burden to the client's infrastructure)

3. What else? Is there any way to make this CLOUD migration without requiring more ON-SITE HARDWARE to facilitate it? :)

Thanks!

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Simple Windows Server Hybrid Solution Suggestions

Hi @LACT,

Thank you for reaching out. Here are pointwise answers to your questions. 

1. Buy a Netgear, migrate the files shares to be on this Netgear and then sync the netgear to the cloud with Netgear plugin. (as far as i can tell this requires buying a $1,299 NAS plus drives for a client who alreday has a windows server and a synology NAS - pretty wasteful)

This is a very good option for the users who will be working from within your office premises. Installing a Storage Sync application (Netgear Plugin) will facilitate a LAN kind of an experience for these users. However, if you have a Windows Server in -house, then you should be looking at the following (whichever suits you the best).

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/201639284-Storage-Sync-for-VMware-Installation

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/202960494-Storage-Sync-for-Hyper-V-Installation

2. Buy a VM-host server to run the hyper-v Storage sync application to keep the current windows server storage in sync with the cloud. (this will coast around $2K and adds additional administrative burden to the client's infrastructure).

If the above suggestion does not work, then given the number of users, you can rely on Desktop App. Using this app, users can sync files locally if they wish to work offline. Here is some info on the Desktop App: -

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000060872-Egnyte-Connect-Desktop-App-Overview

3. What else? Is there any way to make this CLOUD migration without requiring more ON-SITE HARDWARE to facilitate it? :)

Answer to point no.2 is the way out for you. The above solution should answer point no. 3 too.

I hope this helps you decide the future course. Let us know if you have more questions and we will be glad to answer them for you. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos