Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Sync for Netgear/Active Directory Question

Eric Dean
Deputy

Storage Sync for Netgear/Active Directory Question

Jump to solution

We are changing our Active Directory Domain Functional Level and Forest Functional Levels from 2003 to 2008 (and then beyond that eventually). We have a very simple setup with Storage Sync for Netgear on a Netgear ReadyNAS. 

The version of Egnyte Storage Sync is 11.2.5 and the firmware version on the ReadyNAS device is 6.9.5 (supported and up to date according to the compatibility matrix I found on egnyte.com) 

So since Egnyte Storage Sync uses Active Directory authentication, I wanted to be 100% sure that it is ok to use Domain Functional Level and Forest Functional Level 2008 with Storage Sync for Netgear. I could not find any documentation about that. 

2008 Functional Levels are actually pretty old technology, but I want to cover all of my bases. Eventually we'll raise the Functional Levels beyond 2008 after retiring some old A.D. Servers. 

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Eric

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Storage Sync for Netgear/Active Directory Question

Jump to solution

Hello @Eric Dean,

You are right. The reason I wanted a bit of a time was to get a confirmation. This easily will be common scenario keeping in mind all companies go for upgrades. It is just that no one pin pointed to this anytime prior. 

Storage Sync and Win 2003 is anyways no longer supported. And as far as I can tell, there should be any issues even when you move up to 2008. As a natural progression, changing to something beyond 2008 should also not cause any issues. We do have Egnyte users successfully working with the DC running Windows Server 2016 too. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions and I will be glad to answer them for you.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
Employee Ed Tseng1
Employee

Jump to solution

Eric,

We have qualified Active Directory on Windows Server 2016.  Also - to be clear, the article that you have mentioned relates to the VM deployment, but in either case WS 2016 has been tested.

Thanks for the note.

Ed Tseng

Egnyte Products

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @Eric Dean,

This is certainly something that we were never fielded with anytime prior. Please allow me sometime to check with our Product Team. I will write back once I have more info.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
Eric Dean
Deputy

Jump to solution

Thanks @Sagar -

This is a really common scenario, so I'm pretty sure it is ok, but I want to be sure I don't break our ability to let users browse to our local Egnyte NAS using Windows Authentication. Raising the A.D. functional level is not reversible without a server restore based on what I have read.

Anyone else out there using A.D. Domain and/or Forest Functional Level at 2008 or above and using Egnyte Storage Sync on a Netgear NAS?

Eric

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @Eric Dean,

You are right. The reason I wanted a bit of a time was to get a confirmation. This easily will be common scenario keeping in mind all companies go for upgrades. It is just that no one pin pointed to this anytime prior. 

Storage Sync and Win 2003 is anyways no longer supported. And as far as I can tell, there should be any issues even when you move up to 2008. As a natural progression, changing to something beyond 2008 should also not cause any issues. We do have Egnyte users successfully working with the DC running Windows Server 2016 too. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions and I will be glad to answer them for you.

Thanks.

Eric Dean
Deputy

Jump to solution

Thanks for the follow-up Sagar!

0 Kudos
Eric Dean
Deputy

Jump to solution

We have deployed our new Active Directory Servers using Server 2016. I am having some issues now and noticed that there is a section in this support document

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/201639284-Storage-Sync-Enterprise-Local-Cloud-Installa...

that says this:

Active Directory Requirements

You can configure Storage Sync to work with Active Directory. We have qualified Storage Sync to work against the following Active Directory versions:

• Windows Server 2008 Active Directory
  • Windows Server 2012 Active Directory
  • Windows Server 2012 R2 Active Directory

I am hoping that Storage Sync will work with Windows Server 2016 Active Directory, and that the document is just a little outdated. 

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
Employee Ed Tseng1
Employee

Jump to solution

Eric,

We have qualified Active Directory on Windows Server 2016.  Also - to be clear, the article that you have mentioned relates to the VM deployment, but in either case WS 2016 has been tested.

Thanks for the note.

Ed Tseng

Egnyte Products

0 Kudos
Eric Dean
Deputy

Jump to solution

Thanks Ed,

I appreciate the response and also that someone updated the document. 

Eric

0 Kudos
Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

@Eric Dean, thanks for making us aware of it!

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos