cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync based on date?

Simon Mason
Steward

Sync based on date?

I am using the Egnyte Connect Desktop App on my Mac.  I used to use the Egnyte Desktop Sync but the folder I am using in Egnyte got too big.  

Is there any way to setup Egnyte Desktop Sync to only keep copies of the last XX days of file on the local drive and to purge others?  That way I know that the most recent files are local but older files are not being replicated?  Ideally there is something like iCloud where it "intelligently" manages files based on available disk space.  I am not sure how intelligent this is but it does seem to work.

If the answer is no to any of these questions is there a way to manage the files in Egnyte - for example to copy all files over a certain age into an archive folder.  I know I can do it with a number of file copy utilities but was wondering if something like this was built into the interface.  Thanks.

Labels (2)
3 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Sync based on date?

Hello @Simon Mason,

Thank you for reaching out. 

Any Egnyte app you use i.e Desktop Sync/Desktop App will still show the entire data set if you choose for syncing or simply access via the Desktop App. You can work around this scenario by creating temp folders named with the date when you are working on it or name the folder with the entire week's date so that the app only syncs that one particular folder. 

Currently, the Egnyte interface has simple file copy utilities, but not something which would allow you to filter files from a certain date. You can still manually sort the files with the date modified to find the older files. 

You can always contact our support team if you want to try this and test a few files to see if the steps suit your requirement for now. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Simon Mason
Steward

I have implemented a solution that archives the files into another folder through a local machine running a copy utility.  This is something (I think) I used on Dropbox before we moved to Egnyte enterprise.  It's a nice feature have - selective sync based on date - worth adding to the wish list.

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi @Simon Mason,

This is certainly interesting. Since you have used such a thing prior to this situation, you might want to submit this idea to our Ideas board so it gets in front of our Product team. They will assess the use case and see if it's a need for other customers and decide if it's something that will be on the roadmap.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos