Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync exclusion at folder level

John FSP
Vigilante

Sync exclusion at folder level

Hi,

We use a statistical analysis IDE called RStudio and are having problems with Egnyte. Our use case is that we store both data and R analysis files on Egnyte and have analysts work on them in place. The RStudio app is installed as a rich client application on analyst laptops; the Egnyte Connect Desktop App is also installed.

RStudio manages session and state information in a series of temp directories/files under a hidden folder it creates in the working directory. RStudio and Egnyte seem to be fighting for locks with these files and, ultimately, this causes both RStudio and Egnyte to throw errors that can include drive disconnects and hung processes.

The hidden folder is always named ".Rproj.user" and I'd like to configure Egnyte to exclude it entirely - this has been reported to work on other cloud stores like DropBox and GDrive. However, I can only find documentation about sync exclusion for specific files, which won't work in our case. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Retired Employee Nars_Support
Retired Employee

Re: Sync exclusion at folder level

Hi @John FSP 

Desktop App has Global File Locking enabled by design. The unexpected file locks are likely happening if the objects generated by RStudio are database oriented. Unfortunately, we do not support file uploads or synchronization of active database objects due to its non-traditional file nature. 

Please refer to the following Helpdesk article for more information on Unsupported File Types and Characters: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/201637074-Unsupported-Characters-and-File-Types

Please feel free to contact our Support team at support@egnyte.com if you believe RStudio files should be supported.

Regards,
Nars

0 Kudos
John FSP
Vigilante

Thanks Nars but that doesn't appear to be the cause. There are many files that get CRUDed over the course of an RStudio session and they aren't dbs.

My question was whether Egnyte can sync-exclude directories (and their subdirectories, by extension).

I'll make a feature request.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Moderator bdawer

Hi @John FSP , from the way I am interpreting this there are several layers to this question:

1.  If you are just trying to exclude certain directories from syncing with offline sync, then you would just not need to have them selected in the first place. If you are using offline sync then you are probably selecting an entire parent folder which in turn syncs for offline the sub-directories

2. (I think this is what you may really mean) is if it is possible for Desktop App to not even "see" the hidden folder, at this time I do not think it is possible. So then yes, please submit the feature request

0 Kudos
John FSP
Vigilante

Hi @bdawer ,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, #2 is what I mean. I'll submit.

0 Kudos