cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thumbnail rendering performance in Win10 using Egnyte Drive

j_miller
Vigilante

Thumbnail rendering performance in Win10 using Egnyte Drive

One of our sales offices is having an intermittent problem with certain operations - one of the most frustrating for our users is the sometimes inability to generate image thumbnails from a folder of large folders.

We've tried every trick in the book, checked network connection speeds, etc. but for some reason when viewing a folder of images on an Egnyte drive, the thumbnails will not render fully - or some of then render and then stop. This is often an issue with bandwidth but we check and recheck and even when the problem is occurring the offices have around 250+Mbps up and down with an avg pingtime to google of 9ms and avg ping time to our egnyte server of 25-30ms.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? It's driving our people crazy and they're wondering we took them off the old server in the basement :/

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Retired Employee Nars_Support
Retired Employee

Re: Thumbnail rendering performance in Win10 using Egnyte Drive

Hi @j_miller -- below are a number of possible reasons for this behavior:

1. Network Condition

* Bandwidth
* Latency

2. System Performance / Optimization

* Available System Resources (CPU, RAM, HD)
* Slow I/O speeds

3. Reset File Explorer Thumbnails Cache

** 3rd party article: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-reset-thumbnail-cache-windows-10

------

Enabling either [Sync for Offline Access] or [Connected Folders] are a couple ways to improve File Explorer - Thumbnails performance with Desktop App. This is specially handy for frequently visited folders containing hundreds or thousands of multimedia files.

Also refer to the following Help Desk article for other Desktop App Best Practice Recommendations: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/226354207-Egnyte-Connect-Desktop-App-Best-Practices

Regards,
Nars

0 Kudos
j_miller
Vigilante

Thanks for the response. Unforunately all those conditions are OK - good bandwidth, good latency, high end machines with abundant resources.

The issue is very intermittent - during certain points in the day for no rhyme or reason there are network speed and latency issues across our company (multiple offices in different geo locations with different ISPs).

The only variable that I've not been able to account for is the Egnyte system itself. Is there any sort of pulse or speed testing tool that can be implemented to monitor our Egnyte instance for load?

0 Kudos
Retired Employee

@j_miller Did you get a chance to reset/clear the File Explorer thumbnails cache, also? 

We do not offer domain-specific server load monitoring services as a standard option. However, we may be able to offer a custom solution for an additional fee. Please contact your Account Manager for more details, and they will be able to patch you through the proper Egnyte resources. 

Regards,
Nars

0 Kudos
John Rives
Deputy

I've had to uninstall Egnyte Desktop Connect because it blocks Windows Explorer from displaying image thumbnails, even on my local hard drive or network attached storage (NAS) on my local network. So it is not a bandwitdth issue but something in EDC that is causing the problem for me.

I have installed and uninstalled EDC a few times now to make sure. When it's installed and connected, Windows explorer thumbnails show for a fraction of a second and are then overlayed or replaced by a large folder icon when the view is set to medium, large or extra large icons, which are all the views that display image thumbnails.

When I uninstall it and reboot, all the image thumbnails work again. It is not a setting on my computer or corrupt thumbnail database files. I have gone through lengthly troubleshooting lists and checked every setting that could cause image thumbnail problems. The problem is EDC. I hope there is a way to solve this as I like the app. I have to have my thumbnail images though as I work with thousands of images. I can always login to Egnyte through my browser however inconvenient it is.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee

@John Rives There are several thousand Desktop App clients running on Windows 7 and 10 with no Thumbnail issues. Please contact us at support@egnyte.com for live troubleshooting assistance with this particular anomaly. 

Regards,
Nars

0 Kudos