cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using GPO for Drive Maps, and the Desktop Connect App for it outside of the office.

Andy Hipple1
Steward

Using GPO for Drive Maps, and the Desktop Connect App for it outside of the office.

All,

Let me start by adding I have a ticket for this #733482, but I think I need some support from someone that has tired this.

1.  I have 15ish laptop/tablet users at the firm.  The rest have desktops, so that's easy.  I used Group Policy to map them to the storage sync at their office using itemized targeting.  This also covers the mobile users as they roam from office to office.

First question I get is "why" don't you just switch over to the app and bail on GPO's.  Performance of Autodesk Products.  In testing files open 30% faster when mapped directly to the ELC share instead of the app.  So that's really the reason why.

2.  When the mobile users disconnect from the network. I run a Logoff script through their devices local GPO to remove all drive maps.  This allows them to cleanly start the desktop connect app, and have the drives map to the "cloud"

Perfect!  Right, while yes, this does work in almost all of my testing.  Every once in a while a drive map doesn't disconnect, then when Egnyte opens, you get the Drive let X was already in use, switching to Y type message.  Unfortunately for us.  Our drive letters cannot change because of how Autodesk pathing works.  So X must always be X.  

Additionally, when users are outside of the office and want to connect to AutoDesk products, they need to connect to the VPN to pull a license.  I have the script below working to remove the Drives, launch the VPN client, then wait 4 seconds to make sure the Drives are gone before calling a batch file in the root of the Egnyte Folder to Open the App.

This is the code in the "fake egnyte icon I have in testing)

Option Explicit
Dim strUser, strPassword, strDriveLetter, strHomeServer, strDriveLetter2, strHomeServer2, strProfile
Dim objNetwork, objPopUp
DIM colDrives,i
Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
Set objPopUp = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
SET colDrives = objNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives
ON ERROR RESUME NEXT
FOR i = 0 to colDrives.Count-1 Step 2
objNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive colDrives.Item(i),TRUE,TRUE
Next

Dim objShell
Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject( "WScript.Shell" )
objShell.Run("""%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\vpnui.exe""")
Set objShell = Nothing

wscript.sleep 4000

dim shell
set shell=createobject("wscript.shell")
shell.run "EgnyteDrive.bat"
set shell=nothing

Here is the Start of the bat file that is opening Egnyte, then mounting the drive letters.  at the :Mount is where my finaly issue starts.  If lets say T at the top was somehow S, this script will not update the drive letter in the Desktop Connect App.  I need some scripting to reforce this everytime the app load.

@echo off

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq EgnyteDrive.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "EgnyteClient.exe">NUL

IF NOT "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" (GOTO START)

REM IF "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" (GOTO UNMOUNT)

:START

start "EgnyteDrive.exe" "C:\Program Files (X86)\Egnyte Connect\EgnyteClient.exe" --auto-silent

REM echo on

REM GOTO UNMOUNT

:UNMOUNT

REM "C:\Program Files (x86)\Egnyte Connect\EgnyteClient.exe" -command disconnect -l "DRIVELABELNAME"

REM "C:\Program Files (x86)\Egnyte Connect\EgnyteClient.exe" -command remove -l "DRIVELABELNAME"

REM timeout /t 5

GOTO MOUNT

:MOUNT
CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Egnyte Connect\

EgnyteClient.exe -command add -l IT -d ourdomain -t T -m /Shared/IT/ -c connect_immediately

EgnyteClient.exe -command add -l Projects -d ourdomain -t P -m /Shared/Projects/ -c connect_immediately

EgnyteClient.exe -command add -l Marketing -d ourdomain -t M -m /Shared/Marketing/ -c connect_immediately

EgnyteClient.exe -command add -l Library -d ourdomain -t L -m /Shared/Library/ -c connect_immediately

EgnyteClient.exe -command add -l Apps -d ourdomain -t Y -m /Shared/Apps/ -c connect_immediately

EgnyteClient.exe -command add -l GIS -d ourdomain -t X -m /Shared/GIS/ -c connect_immediately

EgnyteClient.exe -command add -l Public -d ourdomain -t U -m /Shared/Users/ -c connect_immediately

EgnyteClient.exe -command add -l Home -d ourdomain -t H -m /Private/%username%/ -c connect_immediately

I am open to other ideas here as well.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Using GPO for Drive Maps, and the Desktop Connect App for it outside of the office.

Hi Andy, 

For grins I just timed several autocad file opens between our L:\\ drive (ELC, storage sync server) and Z:\\ drive (Egnyte Connect with "Sync for offline access" switched on). 

I'm getting about 20% FASTER on the Z:/ drive. I attribute this to opening off my local solid state drive rather than over my 100MB ethernet connection to the server... 

Our files are probably smaller than you deal with in civil 3D. I was using a 40MB file. That's about as big as they typically get around here.

Cheers, David

0 Kudos
Andy Hipple1
Steward

Re: Using GPO for Drive Maps, and the Desktop Connect App for it outside of the office.

its all of the xrefs on our side thats the issue.  The desktop app opens and closes it's connection after each file as I understand it and opening one dwg, can open 30-40 more files referanced into it.  That is where we see the performance uptick with going directly to the ELC share.  Thanks for the following and testing however.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

This sounds like it might be a good candidate for Turbo. Just in case you're not familiar with it, Turbo essentially switches between an onsite appliance (FAST) and loading via the cloud when necessary (SLOWER). From my understanding, this connection is performed automatically depending on latency. If it is faster to connect to the cloud, the Egnyte Connect Desktop application will point to the cloud with no user intervention at all. If it is faster to connect to the in-office Egnyte appliance (which it will be if the user is in office) they will be automatically mapped to the Egnyte appliance. It really is pretty neat. We haven't started out using it completely yet as we have a lot of production autodesk data that we can't afford to trial run a new product with. Currently employees are using a VPN to access our Egnyte appliances, which isn't the most elegant solution. 

0 Kudos
Andy Hipple1
Steward

We did test Turbo it was must slower with our AutoCAD workflow.  Plus with Turbo you have to use the app.

0 Kudos