cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What level of confidence do you have that file notifications reflect the ac

Daniel Keeton
Resident

What level of confidence do you have that file notifications reflect the ac

What level of confidence do you have that file notifications reflect the actual location? Let me explain. I sent a link to a person. I was notified this link was accessed in a location on the other side of the US. Is there an explanation why the link notification would be reflecting a state far from where the recipient lives? For now, let's assume this person has not forwarded the link to anyone. This is the 2nd time this has occurred, and I need to be 99% confident and informed before proceeding. I see three options 1) Somehow when someone opens it is redirected/reflecting IP address but is in fact the person 2) A security breach whereby someone is intercepting our communications 3) Our team member has forwarded this email to someone else. Please help me understand more on this topic. Thanks in advance for your time.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Community Manager Don David
Community Manager

Re: What level of confidence do you have that file notifications reflect the ac

Hi Daniel,

Any link clicks (open) are recorded by our logs. However, you may also see spurious clicks when using certain Mail clients wherein it may scan links to ensure safety and pre-fetch images or icons. These activities will also be recorded as "clicks" from the mail server provider or 3rd party scanners. Many of which you'll find coming from the Mail provider itself if you do a lookup of the source IP address. We recommend using password-protected links for sensitive materials so that only users with the password can access the file, even if the email forwarded to someone else.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you need further information.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: What level of confidence do you have that file notifications reflect the ac

I fully agree wtih Dan ... nowadays you never know, at which servers in the world your data will be routed ...

so providing a password for every download is the most secure choice :-)

0 Kudos