cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the best way at moving renaming folders?

Highlighted
Resident

Re: Whats the best way at moving renaming folders?

how can i monitor the moving of folders ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Peter - When you move folders, the operation should complete and provide feedback on the interface.  If you are seeing issues with this, please log a ticket and we'd happy to help. thx, rajesh

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Resident

The original question was not answered.  We have the same question.  When we rename files on our local clouds or move files on a local cloud - do the other users need to turn off their sync function on their local clouds.  Local cloud user A changes a file name at 8am and Local cloud user B moves that same file at 8am to another folder. How does the internet cloud server reconcile or deal with multiple local users making changes to the same file at the same time with both users having real time sync set. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Resident

I've been testing this functionality over the past several days, weeks and it appears that Egnyte developer team has been busy.  Today, when we rename or move files in one location, this is replicated instantaneously.  For Tom's example above, if two users are modifying the same file and save it to PLC or to the cloud via mapped drive, both versions are retained.  The default setting for number of versions to keep is 3, you may want to increase that number if this aligns with your business processes.  So far, I'm impressed with folder and file renaming and replication.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Resident

I am a super user on our site and I am unable to move files around in folders using the above described method as the "move" and "delete" functions on my action bar are not active. WHy are they not active and what can I do to fix this so I can arrange my fiese?

Thanks,

GJH

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Resident

• We have 25 power users who often work in a disconnected state

• we need to reorganize some files via our mapped drive/ELC during which time some of our power users may not have Internet access

• what is the best way to reorganize these files so that when our disconnected power users reconnect their PLCs do not over write our changes or create duplicate files?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I want to do a complete reorganization of my file structure to create a new, updated directory and to eliminate duplicates.  For ease of use, I was planning to download groupings of folders (my total directory is too big to do everything at once) and then restructure things on my Mac using de-duping software etc and then re-upload them and move on to the next cluster.  Am I creating extra work for myself, or is there an easier way?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Resident

Hi Christopher, Thanks for your inquiry.  Egnyte allows you to move and/or copy folders to different locations within the cloud, so you can do the entire folder restructure online.

You can also restructure your data as well as run a 3rd-party de-duping software using PLC desktop sync.  PLC syncs files from the cloud to your Mac so files are saved right on your desktop. From your desktop, you can then reorganize and run a de-dupe on your Egnyte data, and those changes will sync to the cloud. (I recommend manually controlling sync via settings so PLC doesn't sync in the middle of the reorg or de-dupe) Click here to learn more about PLC

Finally, if you were to take the path you suggested in your post, I would use FTP to perform upload/download.  FTP is the fastest file transfer method on the internet, and it would save you considerable time if you were to go the path of manually downloading all your files.  Click here to learn more about FTP

0 Kudos