cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When deleted folders are restored, their original permissions should also b

AH Admin1
Resident

When deleted folders are restored, their original permissions should also b

If you delete a folder and then immediately Undo the deletion or Restore from the Trash later on, all customized permissions that the deleted folder had are not restored.  Instead, the permissions are reset to the parent folder.  

As an example, you have a top level shared folder called "Contracts" where user X has Viewer permissions.  "Contracts" contains some subfolders, including one called "Confidential" where user X has no access (i.e. the permissions for subfolder "Confidential" were customized to be different from the parent "Contracts" folder).  If "Confidential" is accidentally deleted and then restored (or deletion undo), X now has access to this folder, because when it was restored, it inherits the permissions from its parent folder, "Contracts" where X had Viewer permissions.

Egnyte support said that it is the intended behavior that a restored folder does not restore its permissions (i.e. not a bug).  

Even though this behavior is not a major problem for me (since it will be a relatively rare event), it seems incorrect to say this is a true "Undo/Restore" if it does not restore the actual permissions state of the folder.  Therefore, I am posting this information to other users.  if you customize permissions on subfolders, beware that if you ever delete a folder by accident and restore it, the users who can access this folder may now have changed (in some cases, less access, in some cases more access).

5 Replies
Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Re: When deleted folders are restored, their original permissions should also b

Hello,

I can confirm that this is not a bug, but we are working to preserve permissions after a sub-folder is deleted. We are aware that it poses an inconvenience for some users.

Thank you for your understanding and for your business,

Trey

0 Kudos
Enrico Meier
Resident

Yes that is more than an inconvenience. If you don't have any documentation on what permissions were on the deleted folder then you don't know what to configure. And since there is no folder permissions report it is difficult to create permissions documentation. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Randy Lessor1
Resident

This is critical and a must have!  we have gone through two major disaster recovery efforts and the collaboration users must be included!

0 Kudos
Craig Etienne
Resident

My team just had an incident where we had to restore a large number of shared folders.  NONE of them retained permissions and we have to go in and reset each of them one-by-one.  This is a huge inconvenience and waste of time.

Please work on a fix for this ASAP!

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Sorry to hear about this Craig. We realize that it is a big inconvenience to some of our customers; I will note your request for the feature and will post any updates I have to this forum.

Thanks for your patience and for choosing Egnyte.

• Trey
0 Kudos