cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I unable to save this Word document?

Why am I unable to save this Word document?

I open a Word document, make changes, and click "save."  I receive the following error message: "Word did not save the document (document name here)."  Is there a way to prevent this?  Right now I have to save it under a new name and then delete the previous version.

Thanks.

24 Replies
Mehmed Iljazi
Resident

Re: Why am I unable to save this Word document?

Can someone look into this issue. Everytime the doctors open and edits a file receives error message: "Word did not save the document". This is a big issue, there's have to be a solution or this is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Robert Ellis
Resident

I posed this to Egnyte about 5 months ago.  Their 'Engineering' team is 'looking into it with no word back in the last 4 months. 

0 Kudos
Mehmed Iljazi
Resident

Still huh? Awesome!

0 Kudos
Robert Ellis
Resident

It was difficult to replicate the issue as it happened fairly infrequently.  Sometimes it would take me 10-20 times of opening a document, making a change and trying to save to replicate the problem. I was eventually able to replicate the problem with an Egnyte Tech watching via and gotomeeting session.  They documented it and said Engineering would look into it. 

Admittedly, I have not seen the issue in the past 3 month or so, but I do not believe anything has changed... but I get the feeling the once they go to the 'Engineering team will look into it' is the point at which no one is monitoring the issue. 

0 Kudos
Mehmed Iljazi
Resident

Robert, try this hotfix from microsoft it might work (KB2479169)

Thanks,

Mehmed

0 Kudos
Mehmed Iljazi
Resident

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Robert Ellis
Resident

Mehmed, sorry for the delayed response.  I have installed the Windows hotfix you suggested yet the issue still remains.  "Word did not save the document."  I seem to be having similar issues with PowerPoint, but the error is not as straight forward as the error in Word.  It seems to be related to Office in general, though I have not tried opening, editing and saving many other files from the mapped drive.

0 Kudos
Robert Ellis
Resident

I just had the issue occur in Microsoft Project 2010... This is really becoming frustrating. 

0 Kudos

i get this error daily.  i get it when i have had a document open for an extend period of time for editting.  when i go to save it i get this message.  i have to save it with a different file name and then it saves just fine.  it is VERY frustrating and inconvienent.  I should be able to work on a document for as long as i need it open without having to save it with a different file name continually.  it happens in Word, Excel, Power Point.

0 Kudos