cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can log in to Egnyte with my creds, but my bearer token request gives a 403

I can log in to Egnyte with my creds, but my bearer token request gives a 403

Jump to solution

I'd like to get started with the Egnyte API.  I have an account and a key, but when I POST to /puboauth/token, I get a 403 error with the detail "Invalid username and/or password or account is locked."  These creds (copied and pasted) work just fine for logging in to Egnyte.  The only thing I see which could confuse the matter is that my username is my e-mail address, and therefore it contains an "at" sign; I have tried URL encoding it, but I get the same error message either way.

Here's the exact body, as reported by Fiddler, changed only to hide the credentials:

POST https://idera.egnyte.com/puboauth/token HTTP/1.1
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
Host: idera.egnyte.com
Content-Length: 129
Expect: 100-continue
Connection: Keep-Alive

client_id=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&username=jonathan.shaltz%40idera.com&password=xxxxx-yyyyyyy-zzzzzzzz-qqqq1&grant_type=password

Can anyone see a reason this request shouldn't work?

The Support guy who informed me that my API key was registered suggested I use a different user name, which does not match what I use to log into Egnyte nor developers.egnyte.com, but that did not work any better.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager

Re: I can log in to Egnyte with my creds, but my bearer token request gives a 403

Jump to solution

Hi @Jon of All Trades,

I know Nars_Support responded on your other post, so I just wanted to check in to see if that post answered your question or if the question found in this post still needed an answer?

Thanks! 

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Community Manager

Re: I can log in to Egnyte with my creds, but my bearer token request gives a 403

Jump to solution

Hi @Jon of All Trades,

I know Nars_Support responded on your other post, so I just wanted to check in to see if that post answered your question or if the question found in this post still needed an answer?

Thanks! 

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

No.  Neither Egnyte support nor anyone on this forum has (so far) had any suggestion beyond "try this other user name, which you've never seen before, and did not select when registering."  I have tried these alternatives, but with no change in the error returned: "Invalid username and/or password or account is locked."  Quite unhelpful.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Support called back this morning, and we got to the root of it: the user name and password you enter when you register an app are irrelevant to your app, just a red herring.  Your app needs to use your user name and password for the Egnyte web GUI, together with the key you got when registering the app.  So far I've not seen any use for the 50-character "secret" you're also given when registering an app.

With working creds, the APIs been straightforward to use.  Error messages are not very specific, though that's hardly unusual with APIs.  One curiosity: the upload process doesn't seem to care about content-type; I've successfully round-tripped binary files as "text/plain".  Be sure to check out the View Report button on the mykeys page, it gives you a nice summary of activity and errors encountered.

0 Kudos
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Jon of All Trades Thanks for providing that update for the community and I'm glad the support team helped work this one out with you. I had spoken with them and they said they were still in communication with you, so thanks for circling back to this question here. 

Best,
- Julie

0 Kudos