Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State of Egnyte Q&A - Winter 2019

Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee
1 11 3,896

State_of_Q3_QA.jpg

Have questions from the State of Egnyte Q1 2019 webinar? Post them here and our product team will respond.

If you weren't able to make it, here is the on-demand version

11 Comments
Community Manager Jake Herres1
Community Manager

Q: Is there a way of setting up an area in Egnyte for controlled documents where you want people to be able to view but not download (e.g.: SOPs and governance documents and Policies)

A: Today we have a way of sharing preview-only sharing links to individual files, but we're interested in enhancing this to support full folders

Community Manager

Q: Any plans for outlook integration? i.e.: ability to set an alias for a folder which you can put in the cc line and the mail body text and attachment will then populate into the Egnyte folder when copied.

A: We don't have any current plans to have built-in support for emailing files to folders, but we have a couple partners in our app store who have this kind of feature. We also have a Microsoft Office add-in for Windows that has a large number of options for Microsoft Outlook.

Community Manager

Q: Is "recent files" configurable? e.g., how many, how long ago, etc?

A: No, today it is just the last 10 files the user has interacted with. We're looking to increase the number a bit higher and to add an option for recommended files, but no plans to make it configurable.

Community Manager

Q: Are we ever going to see a way to add users without having to send an invite and just setup username and password on user creation?

A: No, we don't have plans to allow admins to set a password directly. We used to have a feedback like that, but it was called out numerous times in security audits so we've removed it. With Active Directory or Identity Provider managed authentication we do have an option to turn off user invitations (since the user already has a password).

Community Manager

Q: Bio found the iOS doc scan to not work so good. It just showed a magnified view of one section of the document and NOT the whole page.

A: The document scanner highlights the section camera view that it is detecting as a page. Sometimes you need to move the camera a bit to get the right selection - we're working on improving the page detection and also on giving options for users to manually select the region if the app isn't detecting it properly.

Community Manager

Q: Is the admin protective folder option up and running or something coming in the near future?

A: Are you referring to the library folder protection on the desktop? If so, it is not directly available yet. There are some ways to do this for the My Documents and Pictures folders, but it isn't yet possible for the Desktop. We're aiming to release this in the next 3 months as a native feature.

Community Manager

Q: Any support Synology devices again?

A: We don't have any current plans to run the hybrid software directly on the Synology device. Unfortunately, Synology's changes to firmware and operating system libraries made it very difficult for us to provide a high quality solution to users. That said, it is possible to use a Synology device as the virtual disk for a VM-based Egnyte solution.

Peter_the_Gr8
Steward
I enjoyed the State of Egnyte. The new Home Page sounds great. Is there a way I could get a screenshot preview of what to expect? I think this will really please my field team.
Retired Employee

@Peter_the_Gr8 - Glad you're excited for the new home page. It is not fully built/designed quite yet so we can't show it at this time, but we will be asking for some customer input once it's ready and if you'd like to be one of those to review it and provide feedback, we can add you to that list. Just let us know.

Peter_the_Gr8
Steward
I would like to be a reviewer, thank you.
Retired Employee

Thanks @Peter_the_Gr8 , we've added you to the list.