cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

macOS (Desktop App 3.4.2) Drag and Drop Folder Copy Fails to Complete.

Joe11
Deputy

macOS (Desktop App 3.4.2) Drag and Drop Folder Copy Fails to Complete.

Jump to solution

Here's a problem that has been reported to Egnyte Support back in July 2019. Our office uses Mac's and we are used to copying files by dragging a folder from one volume to another. Our data is on the Egnyte Server and when we try and copy the data from the Egnyte Desktop drive (appearing on the Mac Desktop), using the Drag and Drop approach, the copy ends up failing after about an hour or so. There is no pattern to the time or number of files or any particular file. The copy fails with an error message saying "The Operation can not be completed as you don't have permission to access some of the items." This could be a bogus error message, I am an administrator, so I have access to everything. When I repeat the process, the error will occur at a different spot. There does not appear to be a pattern. If I break the drag and drop copy process up, using smaller amounts of folders, then I can succeed. Now I have to babysit the process in order to get a complete backup of my data. Has anyone else run into this problem?

I have posted a short video on youtube showing the problem. Here's the link: 

https://youtu.be/MvtBNN-PJJg

If I find a solution or get a solution, I'll add to my post.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Joe11
Deputy

Re: macOS (Desktop App 3.4.2) Drag and Drop Folder Copy Fails to Complete.

Jump to solution

I have been able to complete further testing on this issue. I have found the drag and drop copy fails while  being at the office. It does not matter what Mac I use, the copy fails. I am copying a folder containing about 25 gigs of data nested in multiple folders. For my test, I copied this folder to my local boot hard drive. (No USB invloved). The copy fails to complete.

Based on support's comments, the logs showed that I was trying to copy while offline. It was detemined, the network must have been interrupted during the copy process.

I am able to reproduce this error, at home (which uses a different ISP). All I do is disconnect the internet while the copy is in progress. I was trying to simulate a lost network connection and this step was able to create the error.

There is not likely going to be a fix for this, as network disconnects can happen. The recommended proceedure is to offline sync the folder, once sync is complete, then drag and drop from the folder to your other location to have as a backup. Offline sync is designed to handle network intteruptions without the potential loss of or corrupted data.

It's too bad the error message Finder reports is so misleading and just didn't make sense at the time. By the way, the ISP used at the office is Shaw Cable.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Retired Employee Nars_Support
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @Joe11 

I was able to locate the Support ticket you referenced, and wanted to include the full details in here, as well.

Product in question is Desktop App 3.4.2 based on Support's recommendation to upgrade from Desktop App 3.3.2.

Data Source: Desktop App 3.4.2 on macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra
Data Target: Seagate External 2 TB disk drive connected to a USB 3.0 hub
Disk Info: APFS formatted with FileVault encryption enabled

I recommend giving the following steps a try based on the information above:

1. Make sure the [Energy Saver] on your system is configured not to Automatically Sleep

>> Navigate to [System Preferences] -> [Energy Saver]
>> Ensure the [Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off] option is enabled
>> Uncheck [Put hard disks to sleep when possible]
>> Please verify these options for both [Battery] and [Power Adapter] configurations

2. Update the system to macOS 10.14.6 Mojave at the very least

3. Bypass the USB 3.0 hub, and connect the external hard drive directly to the system

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Nars

0 Kudos
Joe11
Deputy

Jump to solution

Since this is a Mac Mini there is no option for Battery settings.

Since this is running OSX Server software, there is no ability for it to go to sleep. Having a server go to sleep would make no sense in this case. You can see the attached file.

Being able to upgrade to Mojave, to see if this fixes the problem, is not a simple task and would take some considerable time to complete.

I have decided to try the drag and drop copy using one of my laptops and have it connected to a totally different ISP. A different hard is being used and all the Energy Saver Settings are set as you have suggested on this laptop. The size of the folder is 21.79 gigs and it contains 7147 files. My internet connection speed is not as fast as the office. I can post my findings once the copy is complete or the error occurs.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Nars_Support
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Sounds good @Joe11, please keep us posted with your findings. It may be worth noting that Desktop App has not been tested for macOS Server compatibility, the same way Windows Server is not on the list of supported Operating Systems. 

Please refer to the following Helpdesk article for a list of officially supported environments: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/202206920-Desktop-App-Overview#os

Regards,
Nars

0 Kudos
Joe11
Deputy

Jump to solution

My copy finished without any errors after running for 4 to 5 hours. I now have a complete backup of our 2019 folder.

I will repeat this test at the office with one of our spare Macbook Pro's and a different hard drive. I will use the same settings as you had suggested and will post the results.

(Trying to do the same with the Mini running High Sierra and the server App installed would have failed about an hour into the copy.)

We have an older Macbook Pro that can only run High Sierra. I will try the test on that one as well. There is no server app installed on that Macbook Pro.

Joe

0 Kudos
Joe11
Deputy

Jump to solution

I have been able to complete further testing on this issue. I have found the drag and drop copy fails while  being at the office. It does not matter what Mac I use, the copy fails. I am copying a folder containing about 25 gigs of data nested in multiple folders. For my test, I copied this folder to my local boot hard drive. (No USB invloved). The copy fails to complete.

Based on support's comments, the logs showed that I was trying to copy while offline. It was detemined, the network must have been interrupted during the copy process.

I am able to reproduce this error, at home (which uses a different ISP). All I do is disconnect the internet while the copy is in progress. I was trying to simulate a lost network connection and this step was able to create the error.

There is not likely going to be a fix for this, as network disconnects can happen. The recommended proceedure is to offline sync the folder, once sync is complete, then drag and drop from the folder to your other location to have as a backup. Offline sync is designed to handle network intteruptions without the potential loss of or corrupted data.

It's too bad the error message Finder reports is so misleading and just didn't make sense at the time. By the way, the ISP used at the office is Shaw Cable.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Users online (281)